Sign in to follow this  
valleyman86

Directx Game Hooks

This is related to this thread which is old I guess... http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=359794 Anyways Im trying to draw my own gfx on a game I play and I get the hook installed successfully (I think) but I can't get anything to be drawn. Ive tried what this guy posted in his sample and his sample wouldn't do it either... Any ideas? Also I tried using this method http://www.ring3circus.com/gameprogramming/drawing-on-another-direct3d-programs-viewport/#comment-71 and that didn't seem to work either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What game are you hooking? Are you sure your DLL is loaded (Either use the debugger, or write some stuff to a log file or OutputDebugString from DllMain())? What language are you writing the hook in? Is your device being called at all? What do you mean it "doesn't work"? Does nothing render at all, does the game crash, does everything excpt your new stuff render?

C++ and I think the hook is installed as when debugging it doesn't return any errors. When I tried to call a function in the dll the game crashed and Im pretty sure the dll is ok it just prints text on the window. Im very unclear on how to actually call a function from the dll actually. Any ideas on this would be great. When the dll is installed nothing crashes which is good. Atm im trying to do this with a Vertices demo that was distributed with the sample posted above using the dll from the guy at ring3circus... I just cant seem to get the hook running or something...