XNA vs DirectX 9 vs Directx10

Started by
7 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 2 months ago
Forgive me if this has been gone over on these boards. I'm new =) I'm moving into the graphical programming portion of a game, and am stuck on deciding what I want to use for technology to drive them. I have seen XNA... but I'm basically already against that as this isn't a game I care to put on the xbox. So I was going to go to DirectX9 but noticed version 10 has been out for a while. In reading version 10 I see that it is made for Vista... I'm developing in XP and I want to make sure that people not on Vista can run this. I've heard horror stories of windows vista only programs that don't run on any other version of windows... My question to the experienced is... what's your take?
For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
Direct3D 10 is Vista only.
-----Quat
So if I install DirectX 10 over my 9 install... I will still have access to everything else that will work on xp and just not use Direct3d10?

Also note: I'm working with Visual Studio 2008 C# ... I am not sure if that makes a difference.
For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/
Quote:Original post by IcedCrow
So if I install DirectX 10 over my 9 install... I will still have access to everything else that will work on xp and just not use Direct3d10?
Install it over 9? The DXSDK comes with both, it is up to you which to use and since you are running XP, you won't be able to use D3D10.
Also note: I'm working with Visual Studio 2008 C# ... I am not sure if that makes a difference.
If you are using C# and don't wish to use the XNA Framework, you really only have the option of getting SlimDX as the official Managed DirectX 1.1 has been axed in favour of the XNA Framework.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
I don't require a lot of 3d graphics capabilities at the time... but I hear XNA is going to be forever dependent on the xbox 360 hardware, and if someday I want to upgrade this ... I don't want to be stuck!

Also... XNA doesn't support C# 2008 yet correct?
I don't require a lot of 3d graphics capabilities at the time... but I hear XNA is going to be forever dependent on the xbox 360 hardware, and if someday I want to upgrade this ... I don't want to be stuck!

As far as I'm aware the Game Studio 2.0 part of it doesn't work with 2008 (so you won't get the content pipeline integration etc.), but the managed assemblies themselves should work fine. If this isn't correct I am sure somebody else will chime in one way or another [smile]

As for it being dependent on the 360, that may be so, but the 360 is going to be around for a good few years to come. So, by the time the 360 dies out I can almost guarantee there will be something else you can use.

Seriously though, if you want to do DirectX and you want to use C#, get SlimDX. It has support for both DirectX9 and D3D10, so all your bases are covered for a loooong time to come.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

Yup! Official support for VS 2008 and XNA is supposed to be here when they put out the march 2008 DX SDK last I heard.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Hmm... the DirectX SDK in March will include support for XNA C# 2008? I thought it was only including support for DirectX SDK...

I'm annoyed. I haven't touched graphics programming in a few years and the last time I did was MDX... it seems like we're in limbo right now. The project I am currently working on was already started in C# 2008, so going back to VS 2005 is not an option for me.

I looked at the SlimDX and it looks pretty good though a lot of the API is different from MDX, and thus in a way I will have to relearn a lot.

I would recommend you look into SlimDX - that'll give you access to pretty much anything a native developer has and I highly doubt something like syntax will really bother you for more than a few days. Ultimately its the concepts that are transferable.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement