What's the best way to learn Calculus and Differential Equations?

Started by
2 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 2 months ago
For a while now I've struggled with the fact that my math skills are really lacking. I have up to Calculus I and about a half semester of Calculus II, but I'd like to learn up to partial differential equations so I can understand the majority of graphic math. I'm a real programming hobbyist, so I am looking for something that would give a good overview of these subjects from someone that only wants to learn it to program advanced DirectX concepts, if that's even possible. Can anyone recommend some good books or online courses? If it's also possible, I'd like something that reads well or (what would really be nice) teaches well.
Advertisement
What you need to know to understand "the majority of graphic math" is linear algebra, not PDEs. As for a good book on linear algebra, I haven't found one yet that isn't boring to the point of idiocy. Sorry.
Here's an article by Greg Turk outlining what areas in math are important to know for the different areas of computer graphics: Math-Graphics

Once you figure out which area you need to know more about a great learning tool is MIT's OpenCourseware. From there you can access lecture notes, and in some cases videos and web demos, on Linear Algebra, Calc, Diff Eq, and Part. Diff Eqs.

I'm also interested in beefing up my math for understanding higher end academic graphics work and am following the course 18.085 Mathematical Methods for Engineers I. It has video lectures and show how to use linear algebra to solve all the crazy math problems that are being used in high end graphics these days (finite element methods, etc).

Good luck!
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil."
Quote:Original post by mountie99
Here's an article by Greg Turk outlining what areas in math are important to know for the different areas of computer graphics: Math-Graphics

Once you figure out which area you need to know more about a great learning tool is MIT's OpenCourseware. From there you can access lecture notes, and in some cases videos and web demos, on Linear Algebra, Calc, Diff Eq, and Part. Diff Eqs.

I'm also interested in beefing up my math for understanding higher end academic graphics work and am following the course 18.085 Mathematical Methods for Engineers I. It has video lectures and show how to use linear algebra to solve all the crazy math problems that are being used in high end graphics these days (finite element methods, etc).

Good luck!

Yeah I was about to suggest the MIT courseware math video's which haven't got around to watching completely but from what I saw it's better than the Calculus classes I took at my local college.
And yeah unless you are a math whizz be prepared for a lot of blood,sweat,and tears(okay I'm kidding about the blood) since as they say there is no royal i.e. easy road to learning math.
If you aren't willing to take a local community college calc class or online calc class just there are plenty of math cookbooks and that you can use to get by in the meantime.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement