C++: API for GUI

Started by
5 comments, last by yoshscout 16 years, 2 months ago
Im using Visual C++ currently to make a simulation program consisting of a 'form' with an embedded frame displaying some rendering of 3D openGL based output. My question is, for a time constrained project where simplicity is currently favoured over complexity how should I go about implementing the visual portion of the project? Is it windows and MFC/Win32 (are these the same/similar)? Or is it linux? (what API's are capable of such a GL infused implementation?) ...just searching for some opinions....some help resources if known are always welcomed here, =D
Advertisement
I'd recommend using wxWidgets. It's free, cross-platform and it has the wxGLCanvas class for OpenGL support built-in. :)
If you're using OpenGL and GLUT, then you might be interested in GLUI.
Qt is fairly simple to work with and its QGLWidget makes GL dead simple to embed in your app, but has licensing restrictions - notably, if your program is not open source, you have to use the commercial Qt.
Quote:Original post by brokenlynx
My question is, for a time constrained project where simplicity is currently favoured over complexity how should I go about implementing the visual portion of the project?

When is simplicity ever not favoured over complexity?! Do you mean simplicity is favoured over efficiency? The simplest thing would be to do this in a higher level language. Python, perhaps.

But if you need to use C++ for whatever reason, then I'd take a look at gtkmm for a "modern C++" GUI library. To me, many of the other libraries/toolkits feel flimsy in comparison.
Quote:Original post by brokenlynx
Im using Visual C++... for a time constrained project where simplicity is currently favoured...

Oh?
I think (if I read you correctly) your saying you want a form that you can fill out and change an embedded viewport. Just check out the MFC / DirectX tutorials.

Generate yourself a new dialog based application and embed DirectX into it.

Lay your form out with the resource editor and VS will even generate handlers for when things happen on your form if you want.

This is only a quick simulation/tool type project correct?

P.S. I think he means simplicity over configurability/customizability.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement