• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Inputs for Pacejka Magic Formula

This topic is 3673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm re-implementing the pacejka formula and some car physics, and I just realized a major flaw. How do you actually get the car moving? What I mean by this is that the only inputs to the magic formula are the longitudinal slip and slip angle. These are calculated like so (pseudo comments I wrote):
/* COORDINATE (positive, negative): X IS FORWARD/BACKWARD, Y IS RIGHT/LEFT, Z DOWN/UP
 * To find K (longitudinal slip):
 *		 K = (-Vsx/Vx)
 * 		where Vsx = longitudinal speed of the contact point with respect to woorld coords.
 * 			  Vx  = longitudinal speed of the contact point with respect to the road plane (ground velocity) 
 *		ex.)    (reverse the order of this example, slip_x is what were trying to calculate)
 *			slip_x = k / max_peak_slip;
 *			K = 100.0 * (patch_speed - hub_velocity.x) / denom;
 *			double denom = std::max (std::abs (hub_velocity.x), 3.0);
 *			patch_speed = speed();
 *			hub_velocity = m_velocity;
 *			speed() = (rotational speed of the tire in radians per second) * radius;
 *			m_velocity = m_ground_velocity;
 * To find alpha (slip angle):
 *		alpha = arctan(Vsy/|Vx|)
 *		where Vsy = Vy, and Vy = lateral speed in the contact point with respect to the road plane (ground velocity) 
 * 			  Vx  = longitudinal speed of the contact point with respect to the road plane (ground velocity)
 *		ex.) alpha = -rad_to_deg(atan2(hub_velocity.y, denom))

*/
I see nothing in there about any type of acceleration from gas resulting in a torque, or a brake torque, or steering torque. So, my question is, how do I go from the brake, drive, and steer torque to the two slip inputs for the magic formula? Thanks a lot! -Jedd

Advertisement
It's not a flaw. Those formulas are for modeling the tires. The engine modeling is handled separately.

Quote:
Original post by Vorpy
It's not a flaw. Those formulas are for modeling the tires. The engine modeling is handled separately.

I meant a flaw in my own logic of thinking :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement