A Question About Polygon Count - How Much?

Started by
12 comments, last by dmatter 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by avance70ok so lets get back to the main subject of the theme:
how many polygons can a today's regular computer draw per second? though, i dont even know what a regular computer is ;) perhaps some p4/amd with 6600GT/7600GS?

any suggestions, plz?
Advertisement
I rendered 1.2 Milions polygons on Geforce 6600 GT with all effects (HDR, bumpmapping, soft shadows, etc.) in realtime. Now rendering just several milions in realtime (could be probably much more - I'm gonna try 10 milions and more) on Radeon HD 2900 XT with effects like radiosity, own PCMLSM shadows (physically correct), dynamic reflections and refractions, 128-bit HDR, depth of field, advanced physics using AGEIA PhysX, and much more effects (see Desert Improved demo on this site in Image of the Day topics - well this demo has less polygons, but i've got some with much more polys) using OpenGL and own realtime raytracer and AGEIA NovodeX - PhysX.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Quote:ok so lets get back to the main subject of the theme:
how many polygons can a today's regular computer draw per second? though, i dont even know what a regular computer is ;) perhaps some p4/amd with 6600GT/7600GS?

90% of the time youre gonna hit another bottleneck, before polygoncount becomes an issue
in your case im 99.999% sure fillrate is more of a problem. does FPS go up when u make the window smaller eg 320x240? if so then fillrate is a problem (not the number of polygons)

FWIW todays best cards can do from 1000 polygons a second to ~1billion polygons a second
it all depends on poygon size + amount of per vertex/fragment work

Vertex Buffer Objects, or just simply VBOs, are the last word in efficient storage of vertex data. They allow you to directly store your vertices on graphics card accessible memory (VRAM or AGP) so that the driver can push them through the pipeline exceptionally fast.

They're fairly easy to use and [google] is always a good place to start looking.
I know that DevMaster has a brief, no-nonsense, walk-through of using VBOs.
Or NeHe has a more in-depth, but as usual, convoluted example.
And when you want to get more intimate then try here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement