Sign in to follow this  
Steve5050

OpenGL .X Files In Opengl

Hi, Has anyone converted the code from this Articles Code to C# or Vb.Net 0r some language that is easier to understand then Dev C Plus Plus Or has any found a way to use .x files in Opengl without Dx. I don't want to use any third party controls or dlls. Thanks Steve

Well, to give you a general sense of what you'll need to do:

(1) Learn about all the aspects of an .x file.
(2) Learn how it's set up
(3) Write an importer for it using GL primitives.

Ta da!

Search around using google, I'm sure there are some similar experiences. And seeing if there's any source code for OGL .x importers already that you can look at would help too.

FlyingIsFun1217

If you've already studied the format it should be quite trivial to create a parser for it. Maybe google some tutorials on parsing text files.

Is it the parsing of the data which is giving you the problem, or is it a rendering problem. I've written code in c++ for openGL as well as for c# for directx( I wanted to load the data into my own formats rather then use the directx ones ).

Just let us know exactly what part of it you're getting caught up on and we can probably provide more help.

I wanted to know if anyone converted
the code in that article so I didn't have
to do it if it was already done.

I don't want to convert because it will be
a handful of trouble.

I will find a lot of non equals between the
languages which will be a problem.

I have a lot of x files and I want to use them
in my gl app.

I haven't done any file parsing so it won't be
easy to do.

I have some vb not vb.net code of some of not all
of the .x file format being parsed.

It is going to be a big job to get it right.

If you know how to parse an x file and use it
with vb.net that would be cool.

Thanks
Steve

While he's being a little blunt, I believe his point is that if you don't want to take the time to learn how to parse an ascii file then you're probably going to run into some much bigger road blocks down the road.

Maybe you should take a step back from trying to learn OpenGL for now and try writing some text based games to help build up your programming skills. If you don't want to delve deeper into parsing a 3d data file, why not try something easier to get your feet wet. I would recommend creating an ini file with key-value pairs in it and try parsing that. It will be useful to have down the road and will give you an initial feel for how to parse data

I don't need to step back from anything.

All I asked was If anybody converted that
code from the article.

I don't need Ta Da!s

I started my own xfile loader yesterday, it
will be done.

I don't back down from a good challenge.

I was just lookin for another way.
If someone had shown me a way to write
a xfile loader, what would be so wrong with
that.

I could still learn from that,right?

Steve

Hmmm not really, you can't generally learn by just looking at someone else's code. You need to understand the techniques behind it and how things work before you can actually learn something. I mean you could probably come away from it knowing how it works but you can't really learn the principles behind it.
I should point out though that you say "if someone had shown me a way to write
a xfile loader, what would be so wrong with that." but that article you posted at the beginning does show you how to write an xfile loader. What you're really looking for is someone to write a visual basic .net loader for you, in the end though I don't think you would actually come away with anything from that.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that you need to know what to do before you do it.

That was my biggest problem (and still is, to a small degree), thinking that I could copy, mix, and match code, and understand it too.

Later on, when I started game development, I realized I was only fooling myself. And because of that, I am still learning when I could be farther ahead than I am.

Hopefully you'll learn something out of it, whether or not you struggle.

FlyingIsFun1217

I actually started out using directx more than
a few years ago, I didn't like it and also when
I ran an app, there was always 100% cpu usage.

So I have dealt with x files before.

I understand the meshes,templates,materials and all
that stuff.

I had a 3d modeler application that was exporting xfiles
with extra commas that wouldn't work in my application, I wrote
a line by line app to knock off the commas. I worked that out on my
own.

I've used other engines Irrlict I used that and it was buggy and
100% cpu.

I bought Torgue years ago and that was a total waste.

So now I'm using opengl and it's going good,low cpu usage which
is good,all kinds of good things.

I don't need someone to give me vb.net code.

I'll make the loader and I'll have it working shortly.

Steve

How are you using openGL and not getting 100% cpu, you must be using some kind of threading library. The reason you get 100% cpu is because you don't have some kind of sleep call in your code.
You shouldn't call another engine buggy just because you didn't know how to use it. It always bothers me when programmers say something is buggy because they refuse to give the time to learning it. How was torque a waste of time? Did you just not understand how to use it?
Knocking out a couple comma's is not parsing a file. You really really need to take a step back and go back to learning how the language actually works.
I would recommend you take a step back, try making something much simpler, maybe text based black jack, or a text based adventure game.
If you really don't want to learn programming, maybe take a look at the game maker's which are available out there.

Steve5050:

1) Please stop hitting enter after every couple of words you type. This makes your posts very painful to read.

2) 100% CPU usage has absolutely nothing to do with the rendering API you use. It has to do with the way you interact with the Windows process scheduler. If you correctly process the Windows message queue with blocking wait calls or appropriately placed sleeps, you will not get constant 100% usage on either D3D or OpenGL.

3) 100% CPU usage is actually a good thing for CPU intensive applications that aren't user input event driven, such as games.

As others have suggested, you're trying to do something way over your head. Try to go a step backwards, and learn about the basics first. Writing a parser for an X file is a good learning step, and not very difficult to do.

Oh, and the article is not written in "Dev C Plus Plus", but in C++. DevC++ is an integrated development environment. C++ is the language.

Quote:
Original post by Steve5050
I've used other engines Irrlict I used that and it was buggy and
100% cpu.

It is not because of Irrlict that CPU usage goes to 100%. It is because you are running an infinite loop, very much like the rest of the world does when they are doing a game.
The other option is to make your program input driver, like 3d Studio max, Blender, Maya, ...