.X Files In Opengl

Started by
16 comments, last by FlyingIsFun1217 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Has anyone converted the code from this Articles Code to C# or Vb.Net 0r some language that is easier to understand then Dev C Plus Plus Or has any found a way to use .x files in Opengl without Dx. I don't want to use any third party controls or dlls. Thanks Steve
Advertisement
Well, to give you a general sense of what you'll need to do:

(1) Learn about all the aspects of an .x file.
(2) Learn how it's set up
(3) Write an importer for it using GL primitives.

Ta da!

Search around using google, I'm sure there are some similar experiences. And seeing if there's any source code for OGL .x importers already that you can look at would help too.

FlyingIsFun1217
(1)No Kidding
(2)No Kidding
(3)No kidding

Ta Da!

Been there done that

If anybody has an answer for the question
that I posted.

Thanks
Steve
If you've already studied the format it should be quite trivial to create a parser for it. Maybe google some tutorials on parsing text files.

Is it the parsing of the data which is giving you the problem, or is it a rendering problem. I've written code in c++ for openGL as well as for c# for directx( I wanted to load the data into my own formats rather then use the directx ones ).

Just let us know exactly what part of it you're getting caught up on and we can probably provide more help.
I wanted to know if anyone converted
the code in that article so I didn't have
to do it if it was already done.

I don't want to convert because it will be
a handful of trouble.

I will find a lot of non equals between the
languages which will be a problem.

I have a lot of x files and I want to use them
in my gl app.

I haven't done any file parsing so it won't be
easy to do.

I have some vb not vb.net code of some of not all
of the .x file format being parsed.

It is going to be a big job to get it right.

If you know how to parse an x file and use it
with vb.net that would be cool.

Thanks
Steve

Quote:Original post by Steve5050
I don't want to convert because it will be
a handful of trouble.

In that case, you have bigger problems than 3d loaders.

FlyingIsFun1217

Really,
Do you care to elaborate ol' wise one.

How do you know what problems I'm going to have?

Are you Psychic?
While he's being a little blunt, I believe his point is that if you don't want to take the time to learn how to parse an ascii file then you're probably going to run into some much bigger road blocks down the road.

Maybe you should take a step back from trying to learn OpenGL for now and try writing some text based games to help build up your programming skills. If you don't want to delve deeper into parsing a 3d data file, why not try something easier to get your feet wet. I would recommend creating an ini file with key-value pairs in it and try parsing that. It will be useful to have down the road and will give you an initial feel for how to parse data
I don't need to step back from anything.

All I asked was If anybody converted that
code from the article.

I don't need Ta Da!s

I started my own xfile loader yesterday, it
will be done.

I don't back down from a good challenge.

I was just lookin for another way.
If someone had shown me a way to write
a xfile loader, what would be so wrong with
that.

I could still learn from that,right?

Steve
Hmmm not really, you can't generally learn by just looking at someone else's code. You need to understand the techniques behind it and how things work before you can actually learn something. I mean you could probably come away from it knowing how it works but you can't really learn the principles behind it.
I should point out though that you say "if someone had shown me a way to write
a xfile loader, what would be so wrong with that." but that article you posted at the beginning does show you how to write an xfile loader. What you're really looking for is someone to write a visual basic .net loader for you, in the end though I don't think you would actually come away with anything from that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement