Best books on c++

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 2 months ago
I spent some time learning c++ online, but I find that learning from the text on screen is hard for me, I get more from reading paper books, and as I found out my University got literally hundreds of titles on c++, I wanted to ask which book/books are the best? I am pretty sure I got access to all books on the topic ever printed. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Starting off:
Thinking in C++ Vol 1 and 2 (free legal eBook)
C++: A Dialog (free legal ebook)
Accelerated C++
C++: A Primer

Advanced:
Effective C++
More Effective C++
Effective STL

Non language specific programming books:
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Code Complete

These are usually the books that get recommended on GameDev whenever someone asks.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I cant tell you what books to use but I can tell you which ones to avoid. Dont get C++ for dummies, im a fan of the dummies series but this book is terrible. Books for beginners should always start out with some type of "Hello World" program and this book does not. Its a mess.

Also stay away from anything that teaches in 24 hours. These are garbage as well. Hope this helps narrow down.
From experience, I can suggest that you don't rely on a Primer to learn. Yes, they're absolutely stuffed with Cpp knowledge, but it's far too much to try and learn and understand when you're still beginning. I'm not sure if you're still beginning though, you didn't mention it. For me, and for many others, Primers tend to be a great reference book, but if you want something that you can work through, try something much smaller. Actually, some people like to stay away from the books that promise too much ("Learn more than Stroustrup in 24 Hours") because they tend to kind graze over too much without explaining the details that are necessary to advance.

Anyways, I have 2 smaller books that I found to be very useful and fun to read:
This book walks you through some basics all the way up to inheritence and polymorphism while providing concrete examples (game examples) for everything.
Beginning Cpp Through Game Programming"

This book is excellent in my opinion. It doesn't teach you any code, but it teaches you when to use what code for particular pieces of a game, and why. If you've got enough under your belt to start making some games but you find yourself running into design issues or non-code problems, this book is for you
Cpp For Game Programmers

Obviously these are game programming books, not generic Cpp books, so they might not be offered at your University, or they might not even be what you're interested in, but I thought I'd let you know anyways. Good luck!
Quote:Original post by yaustar
Starting off:
Thinking in C++ Vol 1 and 2 (free legal eBook)
C++: A Dialog (free legal ebook)
Accelerated C++
C++: A Primer

Advanced:
Effective C++
More Effective C++
Effective STL

Non language specific programming books:
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Code Complete

These are usually the books that get recommended on GameDev whenever someone asks.

Yup this list has pretty much all the books you need to learn C++ decently and the way it's supposed to be used.
The only one I would probably change is the first book if you are totally new to programming I would recommend the Dawson book instead or some other total newbie books I've read are "C++ without fear" or "You can do it!".
Horton books are technically correct and easy to read but he teaches C++ as a better C which isn't the recommened way to use it.

p.s. If you see any books with programs that start with void main() or avoid use old char arrays or arrays in general instead of vector and string classes run away as fast as you can!

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement