Sign in to follow this  
zell901

Looking for more of these..help if you know

While I was looking how to solve a problem i was having in C++ a while ago, I found this neat forum thread, the type of thread I've bean looking for since I wanted to start programming! It's stuff taken from an actual class from a real teacher instead of a book, it has all the assignments, examples, and everything else with it (altho he discontinued it i guess) Heres the link: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=165350 I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find more of this type of stuff? I find it so much easier to understand than reading a C++ book for some reason and would love to have a long times worth if anyone took the time to do that.

After reading the first post in that thread, I'm unimpressed by the quality of its contents to say the least: blunt statements like "C++ is not secure because viruses and trojans can be written in that language" or "OOP code is easy to debug" shouldn't be present in decent learning material. Therefor, I'd recommend to get a good book.

The only really good online course material I'm aware of, can be found in the MIT repository. This may however not be what you're looking for.

MIT stuff is really not beginner material.

Quote:
After reading the first post in that thread, I'm unimpressed by the quality of its contents to say the least

That thread is dangerous. Some of it is valid, but mingled in between is lots of problematic stuff. And there's no review on which is ok and which isn't.

After glancing over that thread it looks like it falls into the "C++ for BASIC Programmers" category which is a sub category of the more general "Learning how to program" category and not the "Learning how to properly use modern C++ well" category.

The best resources will depend on which type of information you're actually looking for. A few must have bookmarks to consider:
Bjarne Stroustrup's FAQs
C++ FAQ LITE
Herb Sutter's GotW
C2 C++ Wiki