how much should I charge? 2D iso sprites

Started by
2 comments, last by SaurabhTorne 16 years, 2 months ago
Well hi, recently I been asked to de some isometric 2D sprites for a game in development stage, both the designer and I are new to this area it seems, and would like to know, how much is fair to charge for the graphics I was asked to do?, is reasonable to aks for a % of the profits? the details are as folow, 8 set of sprites in 4 directions for a walking/runing char, and they respective character designs, and in the future more actions will be added. this would be a work for hire for the sprite, so I should be retaining the copyrght for the sketchs, and also would like to know if it`s posible to retain a limited copyright of the sprites for publishing in other media like an illustration book in the future. in advance, thanks ^^
Advertisement
Hi, it may sound trivial but it depends of the quality of the art work you deliver to the project manager. For example : - resolution, - animation quality - portability - does it fit into the project, etcetera. In this case you'll have to talk to the supervisor of the project and the art director if there is any, and find out how suitable your art work is for the project.
Most of the time, a fixed fee is given for your art work. Or, none (exposure to the public if the project succeeds). A percentage of the profit is mostly given, if your art work is really crucial to the game and is an integral part of it.
thanks for the reply.
the resolution ofr the character has finally been decided to be around 100 pixels tall by 50 wide, I been practicing my sprite drawing and I would put it at a medium level, not great but far from bad, the animation, not sure about it, I did some 2D animation experiment and they where good but never before tried it with pixels, so how good i m with tha tiwll have to wait.
and well my artowork will basically be all the main characters, so yea is quite important, given this project is suposed to go comercial is onothe rpoint, and well while public exposur eis ok for a project is diferent when whe ar etalking about a comercial project ^^

edit:
oh btw www.n647.deviantart.com is my gallery so you can check it out, tough I hav eno pixel art online yet
If you are new, you should not worry about money that much. A token price is good. Free work will also help. There are possiblities that they ask the price or you ask the price and further negotiate but it leads to weak ties considering time. I suggest that career building will be your top priority. you will have to wait and watch around and decide your price only after some time i.e. when your art gets recognition in both public and companies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement