• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crafter

i have a question about DirectX Debug

This topic is 3794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I used to develop DirectX App with VS.NET 2003, and it can debug shader well. now I install vc++ 2008 and then install the DirectX August 2007 SDK, but vc++2008 can't debug shader and the "*.fx" files have not been read any more... how to make it work as before??

Advertisement
I believe the only way to debug shaders in the latest SDK is to use PIX.

You could also use something like RenderMonkey to develop the shaders, but I don't think it'll do much by way of debugging. I usually just output values as colours when I want to find out what's going on.

Yeah Adam_42 is right, PIX is now the only way to handle shader debugging. However this isn't as much of a problem as it sounds, as PIX is far better equipped to handle shader debugging than Visual Studio ever was. I highly suggest going through the PIX tutorial in the SDK docs and getting intimately familar with how PIX works, it's one of the most powerful tools at your disposal as a D3D graphics programmer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!