Sign in to follow this  
Damageinc84

Golf Course Project.

Hi guys, New to the boards. I was looking around and can't find a good answer for my problem. I'm looking to map out a Golf course. What is the fastest was to create a 3d model of an existing couse. Is it done by GPS? I'm looking to make a Golf game and need to quickly get a course up. I just need to figure out where and what do I do with the data to get a course up and running. I am new to the Game Dev World and just looking to make a small project.

Since I can't let a question that I can help answer be unposted I'll help you out a little.

0. GPS can only do rendering calculations from your API. (DirectX, OpenGL) OpenGL I am some what good at. GPS does not frame your game. Maybe a shader code, but for Physics and what not you need some APIs to help.

1. What API and or Language are you using?

2. Have you programmed before? Ever?

3. The best method for to model a gulf course since your new is too use a 3d modeling app and create textures for it then get a model loader going with a texture loader.

I have a search engine on this stuff.

3D Modeling Apps - A few are for free and some arnt.

Since and I don't know what your using too hold all of this together I can't post any more links or info until you reply answering my questions.

If you have no idea what I am 50% talking about or more. Then you mite need to do some basic coding. HTML although its for websites it can help you get a grasp on the programming world or you can do C++ using the console. Then move on into some Win32 windows or C# and work your way up.

Well it is a project that involves my brother in law and myself. He is doing the coding. We are still trying to figure out with programs we are going to go with. We liked unity. I think he has been playing around with Visual C++ Express. He has the experience with the coding. My part is the get the terrain narrowed down. Like I said, we haven't decided on all the software yet. We just need to know kind of where to start. I do know that we has played with Ageia Physx, he has decided that is what we are going to use for physics.

If you're planning on selling or distributing (even if it's free) your title, I'd stay away from real world courses (unless you think you can afford to licence them).

As for how to model them? I'd start watching a lot of golf, or try to track down video tapes or DVDs of golf tournaments at the course in question. Flybys of the hole you want to recreate are great tools. They give you an overview of the hole, where the trees are, where the bunkers are, where the water is, the shape of the green, and it's probably the best way to get a visual indication of the elevation of the terrain.

After that, just spend some time modelling and texturing it in a 3D modelling program (some were already suggested in a previous post).

You might also want to check out some of the licensed PGA games to see if the course is on one of those. If it is, you can use it to create your own video flybys of the course since licensed courses need to go through strict legal approval processes (especially with the next-gen games) which should guarantee a high degree of accuracy in their representation.

We are looking at using official courses. We will be paying the fees to use these. We are going to hire people in the long run. We are just trying to get a demo up and running. We are just going through the motions of finding how to get VERY detailed replication of a course. like I said we are looking at using Unity, but I did a little terrain modeling in blender. Im just wondering if we can get GPS information and translate it to a heightmap or something and import them into our chosen program, say Unity. This project isn't just a Videogame, the software side is only a small portion of the goal. All we need is Course design.