• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ankhd

My First 3D game needs testing

This topic is 3880 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hi,

I could not start your game, because .manifest file seems to be missing. :(

You will need the manifest for the C runtime library of Microsoft Visual C++ 8.

Mathias

Doesnt work here:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstall the application may fix this problem.

I only used Visual Studio 2005 once and do not remember all the neccessary settings for manifests.

You can select between internal and external manifest somewhere in the project settings. If you choose external manifest you have to deliver the <application>.exe.manifest file.

You should try Google or msdn.microsoft.com to get more information.

Im using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
it looks like the manifest are being imbed.

here Property Page->Linker->Generate Manifest = yes;

Property Page->Manifest Tool->Embed Manifest = yes;

I found this file in the release folder of the app is this what you mean
ConnectFour.exe.intermediate.manifest

and these from the debug folder
ConnectFour.exe.embed.manifest

ConnectFour.exe.intermediate.manifest

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstall the application may fix this problem."

In simple cases like this one, this error message typically means that the user doesn't have the redistributable runtime libraries installed (for executables produced by Visual Studio 2005 Express, this installer from Microsoft will install the appropriate runtime libraries. There are different installers for other versions of Visual Studio) If you're producing an installer, your installer can simply run the appropriate Microsoft redistributable runtime installer as one of its steps. If you're just distributing a zipfile, then you can give instructions to your end-user to download and install the runtime libraries from Microsoft themselves.

Alternately, you can statically link your executable to the runtime libraries, by going into the C++ Generation project setting pane, and switching to the "MultiThreaded" or "MultiThreaded Debug" setting instead of "MultiThreaded DLL" or "MultiThreaded Debug DLL" (respectively). But that can be a bit complicated, if you use many external libraries, as you'll probably have to make that same change to every one of them, or else your executable will still require those redistributable runtime libraries.

Quote:

Alternately, you can statically link your executable to the runtime libraries, by going into the C++ Generation project setting pane, and switching to the "MultiThreaded" or "MultiThreaded Debug" setting instead of "MultiThreaded DLL" or "MultiThreaded Debug DLL" (respectively). But that can be a bit complicated, if you use many external libraries, as you'll probably have to make that same change to every one of them, or else your executable will still require those redistributable runtime libraries.

I'll second this approach - it's what I have always used with Visual C++ 2005 Express.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!