• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alrecenk

[java] Video Editing In Java

This topic is 3882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good library for video editing in java. I'd like to apply some filters I already have written to video, but I have no idea how to go about loading a video, getting access to the image data, and then saving the video back to the hard drive. Any info on 3rd party stuff, or links to good tutorials of how to do it using standard java libraries would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Ha this is funny, because i was just thinking about writing a java app that would take streaming video from a webcam. Been researching data mining, ( have a class in it) and figured it would be good place to get some data from.
Have you checked out the Java Media Framework

I looked into it a little, but it appears to be unnecessarily un-user-friendly. At the sun site I found large amounts of source code with little to no explanation, and the best explanation I found doesn't seem to concisely cover what I want to do. It would seem my best lead at the moment is this 265 page pdf, but surely there is an easier way to do it.
http://www.cdt.luth.se/~johank/smd151/jmf/jmf2_0-guide.pdf

JMF has been abandoned.

While it's still of some use for video viewing, Java simply isn't suitable platform for any serious video editing.

DirectShow would make a decent choice if you intend to run on windows.

Other than that, video editing is one domain where Java's abstractions are a very poor fit, so the platform itself is the biggest obstacle.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!