C#?

Started by
12 comments, last by gharen2 16 years, 2 months ago
So I'm told that C# is easy, I'm also very interested in it. I want to make a simple 2D game where would I start?
Advertisement
Hmm I've just done some reading around and it looks like I should get C down first, well I'll put it to you guys. I am low on monies so I cannot afford books to learn from. Anyone know of blogs/articles that teach you step by step?

EDIT/ And I don't mean to just jump in to game dev now, starting with hello world and making my way up is what I meant.
What kind of experience in programming do you have?

The statement that C# is easy is not very reliable. Yes, it might be easy compared to some other languages but for a starter it might be too difficult. It is not just the language that makes programming easy or hard.

To people who are just starting out, I always recommend taking a look at Microsoft's XNA (for which, luckily for you, you can program in C#).
----------------------------- Jan-Jaap Severs Grendel Games[ Grendel Games ]
C# is a language that makes life easy for the programmer. There is no real memory management, built-in error handling, etc. However, as said before, learning to program from scratch might be difficult.

However, I do believe that C# is a good language to start on as a beginner. It does a lot of work for you, is quite easy to read and it contains user interfaces, which make it very appealing to make simple applications with a GUI.

There are lots of good C# tutorials out there, and a compiler can be freely downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/.

Toolmaker

Quote:Original post by mbergstrom
Hmm I've just done some reading around and it looks like I should get C down first, well I'll put it to you guys. I am low on monies so I cannot afford books to learn from.

Wrong on both points here. There is no need to learn C before you learn C#. It would be like saying that you have to learn how to drive a standard car before driving an automatic. Except that in this case, you'd have to unlearn quite a lot of C to appreciate C#.

And as for not being able to afford books, go to your local library. They might not have have a C# book, but maybe they can order it from another library for you. That is, after all, the main purpose of libraries; to help people get books.
Thanks for your replies everyone!
Ezbez as for what you said, getting the the library is easier said then done. Seeing as I live pretty far away from the city and there is no transit system I'm a sitting duck.
Quote:Original post by mbergstrom
Thanks for your replies everyone!
Ezbez as for what you said, getting the the library is easier said then done. Seeing as I live pretty far away from the city and there is no transit system I'm a sitting duck.

I thought the state of public transport in Canada as in most other countries was light years ahead of the US?
Anyways, I digress and that's a topic for another post.
My favorite C# book and the one I recommend if you can get a hold of it is this one.
Alas the next best one is "Programming in the key of C#" and a modified version of that one is free on the net so your in luck sort of.
Unlike the printed version above the webversion"What the C or C++ Programmer Needs to
Know About C# and the .NET Framework"
assumes that you already know how to program so it's tougher going if you aren't already a programmer.

p.s. And "easy" is all relative since to me Flash and Python is easy. Then again when I'm doing my C++ homework in college or see Perl code or Assembly C# is a walk in the park;)

[Edited by - daviangel on February 3, 2008 2:32:30 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Only programming I've done is basic flash websites, before CS3.
Well, OK, but at some time you are going to have to stop wringing your hands and actually get down to learning and programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement