Adventure Game Detective Fiction Survey

Started by
4 comments, last by Beem 16 years, 2 months ago
Hey gamedev.net folks! I'm developing a video game based around detective fiction. As such, I'd like your help in finding out what kinds of adventure games, and detective stories, you like. (Adventure games are essentially mysteries, anyway.) Statistics really do help in determining what kind of product players want to see. Please fill out this survey, entitled "Adventure Game Detective Fiction Survey". I would love your input. It will essentially tell me what kind of game to make. http://www.eSurveysPro.com/Survey.aspx?id=63567b21-eee5-43fb-8631-4dd39e097b6d Thanks! -Stefan
Stefan Di Iorio
Advertisement
This isn't really a Help Wanted topic (this forum is for recruiting teams, or offering services, etc.), so I'll move you off to... The Lounge should be fine for this one.

Good luck making your game.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Oh, whoops. Sorry. Thanks.

(Actually it really does help me make my game.)
Stefan Di Iorio
When it came to detective games I really like the Gabriel Knight series as well as Westwood's Blade Runner.
Awesome. I'm guessing you did the survey? :D
Stefan Di Iorio
Yeah I did the survey. I should mention that I don't play many adventure games, but those two were my favorites. I also recently play a demo of Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, and it was pretty good. The most important thing, in my opinion, is story.

I'd say the story and the interface are the most important parts. The interface has to be easy to use. Blade Runner was strictly point and click. You didn't have to select any complicated menu options, you didn't have to select "Dialog" mode or "Grab" mode. Gabriel Knight 3 was somewhat similar in that when you clicked on something a list of options came up (which was alright).

As for story, you need a good one. I never played Myst, but I did hear about it, and I played Timelapse, which I hated. These games were all puzzles and no story. The worst experience I've had in any game (adventure or otherwise) is when I have no clue what I am supposed to be doing, as it happens this is what most of them are like, and so I don't play them often.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement