• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robydx

sphere tessellation

This topic is 3788 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to create sphere maden from exagon. I've found for example octahexon (that has all exagon with two cross on the two poles). I need more complex ones or a way to create them Anyone has a good tips where starts? thank you

Advertisement
Hi, try this link:

http://student.ulb.ac.be/~claugero/sphere/index.html

It's a very nice explanation and has a very nice sample source code for sphere
tessellation, starting from either a tetrahedron, octahedron or icosahedron (4 sides, 8 sides and 20 sides convex polyhedrons).

I suggest you start with the 20-sided icosahedron which will give you the best
results.

Also, you can run a search in GameDev itself. Just looke for 'tessellate sphere' and you'll find two sample sources (in the math -> miscellaneous section) which
demostrate how to do it.

Eli

thanks for links but it doesn't solve my problem.
Icosahedron seems to have the problem.
I need to create a sphere for a strategic game. Instead of use a classic planar level i would like to use a spherical stage using exagonal cell to place my units. Icosahedron doesn't have only hexagon (the faces are not multiple of six for example), so there are pentagon or other shapes. The article is quite interesting and can game me a lot of tips to solve.
Thank you so much

There is no "proper" way to tessellate a sphere into hexagons only. The closest approximation you can make it to use an icosahedron.

Then truncate it until you get a soccer ball. This will have 12 pentagons while the rest are hexagons. If you then continue sub-dividing all edges you create ever more hexagons while only keeping 12 pentagons. The more you sub-divide, the less conspicuous those pentagons will become.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!