• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gp343

How to scale / range a number

This topic is 3881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering, is there a way in which I can scale down a number to be within a certain range? For instance, I want a function with the following signature: float scaleRange(float number, float high, float low); an example usage is: float retVal = scaleRange(341.00f, 1.0f, -1.0f); at this point I want "retVal" to have a value between 1.0f and/or -1.0f Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, James

Advertisement
You did specify the signature, but you didn't specify the behavior of the function you need.

For example, a function such as:
float scaleRange(float number, float high, float low)
{
return (high + low) * 0.5f;
}
would correspond to what you asked.

Quote:
Original post by gp343
float scaleRange(float number, float high, float low);

It depends on the range of a. If a is between 0 and 1000, you could do something like this:

return (a / 500) - 1; //scales a number from 0 to 1000 to between -1 and 1

Or, more generally:

return (a / ((aMax - aMin) / (max - min))) + min;

Where, in the previous example:

min = -1f
max = 1f
aMax = 1000f
aMin = 0f
a = 341f

So your signature now is:

float retVal = scaleRange(in, oldMin, oldMax, newMin, newMax);

eg. float retVal = scaleRange(341, 0, 1000, -1, 1);

So:

float scaleRange(float in, float oldMin, float oldMax, float newMin, float newMax)
{
return (in / ((oldMax - oldMin) / (newMax - newMin))) + newMin;
}

Of course, if you already knew some of this, such as the ranges (and they never changes) you could be more specific to speed things up.

You can't scale an arbitrary number into a range without knowing what range that number was in beforehand.

For example:

50, is in the range 0 - 100, when scaled to the range 0.0 - 1.0 the result is 0.5.

50, is in the range 0 - 1000, when scaled to the range 0.0 - 1.0 the result is 0.05.

Specifying only the number and the scale-to range isn't enough to define a function as there are multiple possible outputs.

The way to determine the above examples is with the following formula:

n / |A| * |B| + Blower

Where:
n is the arbitrary number.
A is the scale-from range.
B is the scale-to range.

So:
Blower is the lowest value in the range B.
|A| is the size of the range A, which is equal to: Ahigher - Alower

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!