• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
V-man

16 bit float texture

This topic is 3963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How to upload a 16 bit float texture? I know you can do this glTexImage2D(target, 0, GL_RGBAF16_ARB, w, h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_HALF_FLOAT_NV, pixels); but that requires GL_NV_half_float which ATI doesn't support. Is there something I missed?

Advertisement
AFAIK, you can't upload a 16bit FP texture directly on ATI. You have to upload 32bit floats instead (through GL_FLOAT). They will then be converted to 16bit internally.

So if you start out with 16bit data, then that means upsampling to 32bit -> uploading -> downsampling to 16bit again by the driver.

Welcome to ATIs world.

This is more like the GL world.
ARB_texture_float offers the 16 bit internal format function but it's lacking the ability to upload? Doesn't make sense.
The spec doesn't give an example.

Quote:
Original post by V-man
This is more like the GL world.
No, it's ATi's really. GL in fact has another extension, namely ARB_half_float_pixel. Whatever it's a good idea to dissociate this functionality from the texture managing capability can be discussed but there have been good reasons to do that (keep reading).
Quote:
Original post by V-man
ARB_texture_float offers the 16 bit internal format function but it's lacking the ability to upload? Doesn't make sense.
It does. Specifying you can upload half data directly is silently suggesting that renderer's half support is good. Guess what cards are bogus here? Guess which do support this extension?
Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Have you tried
http://www.nvidia.com/dev_content/nvopenglspecs/GL_ATI_texture_float.txt
Unluckly, it doesn't provide this functionality... guess why?
Quote:
From ATI_texture_float extension
Issues
  1. Should we expose a GL_FLOAT16_ATI pixel type so that the 16 bit
    float textures can be directly loaded?

RESOLUTION: This will be exposed in a separate extension.

Nice, what a joke!

They should have put all the relevant issues with an extension in the same extension release. So stupid, or lazy... Got me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!