• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MassacrerAL

Do I need Visual studio 2005 standard edition?

This topic is 3788 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

so well, i`d like to try some windows mobile 6 development, but i`m really confused about some stuff. i`ve downloaded windows mobile sdk, but it says that it needs VS05 standard edition. do i really need to get it? its 3 gigs download and only trial, so i`m not exactly excited about that. is there any other way how to do windows mobile development? native c++ or c#, it doesn`t really matter.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Palidine
You should be fine with the Express Edition (it's a free edition, same compiler, just a few less features in the IDE):

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

you may also need to PlatformSDK (google for link)

-me

The last time I checked, the mobile SDK required at least the standard edition of Visual Studio. The only free alternatives I can think of are Embedded Visual C++ 4 (eVC4), but its compiler is ancient (VC6 era), or some MinGW cross-compiler. There used to be some hack to get Mono programs running on Windows Mobile, but I'm not sure if they still work (programs have to be signed).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that express does not support Mobile devices or any of the more exotic cross-compilation targets such as Itanium or Itanium2 for that matter.

You'll have to get your hands on standard or better to do mobile development. You ought to be able to purchase standard for a reasonable price, and even cheaper if you're a college student.

thanks for replies guys, i`ll give eVC4 a shot. it was released in 2003 but there is already SP4, so it might not be that bad. i hope i`ll be able to get .net cf 2.0 working on it.

If you're in college you may be able to get professional edition for free. I did. Check to see if your school has an MSDNAA license.

If you're no longer or never were in school, then you'll have to spend the money (but it's not that much).

eVC and .NET Compact Framework?

That doesn't mix up at all. eVC is a pure C++ compiler generating only machine code. No .NET, no C# and no managed C++ or C++/CLI available. eVC is only an option if you actually want to develop native libraries in (outdated) C++.

Regarding .NET CF, You might be able to glue something together for free using NAnt, the .NET Compact Framework and an IDE like, say, SharpDevelop configured to execute your NAnt build script when you hit 'compile'.

-Markus-

Quote:
Original post by dashurc
If you're in college you may be able to get professional edition for free. I did. Check to see if your school has an MSDNAA license.

If you're no longer or never were in school, then you'll have to spend the money (but it's not that much).

I did the same.

Search for your school/college/university here to see if they have a license:

http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearch.aspx

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!