New Programming Language

Started by
7 comments, last by Moonboy333 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello, You might have seen my only other post, and sorry about the mix up. I realized my what to do to fix my first problem. I saw another post however that was talking about other programs and decided to switch to another programming language, but I need help here. I looked at Irrlicht, but I don't understand what it is exactly. Is it a programming language or what? What else would I need to make a FPS possibly with a Halo style multi-player system (computer). The internet part will come later though. Please help because I have a cool idea for a game, although I will need some creative help later on. Right now I would just like to get a basic interface and level set up. Thank You Moonboy333
Advertisement
Irrlich is a 3D graphics framework that provides things like scene organisation, skeletal animation and so on. It's not a programming language.
Irrlich is commonly used in combination with the C++ programming language although I think it works with other languages as well.

I see you're working with blitz basic now. If you actually decide to switch to C++, you'll find that it's a pretty big step and writing a multiplayer FPS (in any language really) is a big endeavour. As much as you'll hate to hear it: I think you're aiming a little too high a little too soon. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong.
Thank you,
I still don't understand exactly what Irrlicht is used for, but thank you for trying. Also when I said online, I meant as an extra feature. First I want to make a campaign and single player games(google phosfor, or rasterwerks to see the type of single player game) I know how hard it is to do online, and that would be a bonus to my game, not necessary. Could you please also point me in the right direction for a couple other things?
1. What else I would need to make my game.
2. A good place to start learning C++.

Thank You,
Moonboy
I have decided to use Irrlicht and Dev c++ but I dont know anything about setting up a compiler, dev c++, and Irrlich togather. PLEASE HELP!!!
I am going out of my mind with frustration.
Someone please tell me how to get dev, and Irrlicht to work.
If you're frustrated with setting up a compiler and editor, you won't last 10 minutes programming in C++. C++ is MADE of frustration.

I usually suggest beginners use Python rather than C++ first. After you learn Python it will be easier to figure out C++ and move on from there.

You can use PYRR as a wrapper for using Irrlicht inside Python.

But first, to learn Python you'll want to go to the Green Tea Press website and download the .PDF version of "How to Think Like a Python Programmer". It's a good beginners' guide to programming in general and there are C++ and Java versions available for it for later.
I have switched programming languages so many times I am ready to just settle down with one programming language. Thank you for you advise but I really want to just figure this out. I don't mind learning the code, I just want to get this program to work. I still need help getting Irrlicht up and running but I have found a tutorial, and I am learning basic C++. It's actually kinda easy.
Please give help.
It's not urgent as I am still learning but I would like to just get it out of the way.

Thanks bye

[Edited by - Moonboy333 on February 5, 2008 5:27:12 PM]
This isn't meant to discourage you, but if you use C++, you'll probably never get your game made. Making a 3D game isn't a trivial matter. It includes fairly advanced knowledge of your chosen language, math, knowledge of whatever library you are using, etc. For someone with zero experiance to expect to program 'Halo' is a little bit too ambitious.

Trying to start small and gradually get bigger would be the best course. Try Python (python.org) and Pyglet (pyglet.org). Make some simple 2D games and work your way up. After A LOT of practice, you'll be able to either use python or C++ to make your dream game.

And if your still not convinced, consider this: Setting up a window with C++/DirectX can be a good page or more of code(I can't post specific code as I am not a C++ developer, only seen it in books). Using Python/Pyglet you can set up a window and display the text "Hello World" with this:

[source lang='cpp']from pyglet import fontfrom pyglet import windowwin = window.Window()ft = font.load("Ariel", 36)text = font.Text(ft, "Hello World", win.width/2, win.height/2)while not win.has_exit:    win.dispatch_events()    win.clear()    text.draw()    win.flip()
Firstly I would like to warn you as others have done already that starting off with C++ and Irrlicht is like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end. Be prepared to knock your head against the wall a lot throughout the process, but I'm aware that some people learn best this way so I won't stop you if that's what you want to do.

Secondly, and this is only a personal recommendation, I suggest you try the Code::Blocks IDE instead. It's a newer, more widespread and- in my opinion -easier to use IDE that's better supported by the Irrlicht library. Last I checked the .dev files that come with Irrlicht don't compile without some editing.

Your best course of action would be to install the latest versions of the Irrlicht library and your IDE of choice from scratch to ensure you're starting with a clean slate, then open the "Hello world" example that comes with Irrlicht and try to compile it using the "build" option. The project files are located in the Irrlicht directory under examples\01.HelloWorld, with .dev being the file to use for Dev-C++ and .cbp for Code::Blocks.

If you want to start a new project, the easiest way is to use the "Irrlicht project" template that comes with Code::Blocks (via the File > New > Project menu) and change the "IRR_BASE" variable (Project > build options menu under the "Custom variables" tab) to reflect the directory you installed Irrlicht to.

To do the same with Dev-C++ You'll need to create a new empty project, open the properties dialog and navigate to the "Directories" tab. There add '<Your Irrlicht Directory>\lib\Win32-gcc' to the "Library directories" list and '<Your Irrlicht Directory>\Include' to to the "Include directories" list. Finally navigate to the "Parameters" tab and add the text "-lIrrlicht" (minus the quotes) to the "Linker" box.

I hope that helps, and good luck!
Thank You for your help!
Viper: Thank You for your advice! I am not completely new to C++, or game development. I tried to create an MMORPG with my friends, We all knew it would never get to the programming stage, but it produced some cool ideas, and I haven't dropped the idea yet(thats going to come much later). Like I said earlier, I am ready to get used to one language and build a simple game with it. This does not mean I am going to create a Halo game yet, I know that. I was not planning on starting 3d yet anyways. I want to learn lots of c++ first.

Puck: Not to sound rude, but that is the way I learned to swim(lol). Also your right, I've given up so many times that unless you convince me it is impossible for me to learn c++, which I know it's not, I won't switch again. Thank you for you definition of Irrlicht. Now all I need to do is figure out how to use it.(please dont tell me yet, it'll only confuse me.) Thank you for telling me how to get Irrlicht into Dev.

Thank You again,
Peter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement