• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
C_Programmer0101

Unity Help with Torque3D Turn Based RPG

This topic is 3942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi community. I am in need of some resources on how to program a turned based system using the Torque3D game engine. I will be performing the programming in Torque Script. So far I have been able to program a leveling system that works but now I need a battle system to compliment it. I am looking into something like a Final Fantasy type system where speed determines who stikes first in combat. I have not been able to find any resourses for this. Does anyone know of any that could help me out. Also, if you are experience in this can you share some pointers on creating such a system. -Thanks

Advertisement
Are you interested in creating a combat system based on speed, or are you interested in creating a combat system based on speed precisely with Torque?

I am interested in creating a combat system in torque3D using a characters speed to determine who gets to attack first. I will be creating this primarily in Torque Script. The character will run around until he bumps into or gets to close to an enemy. From that point the a new screen loads up and all three characters are visible. Now speed comes into affect to see which character or enemy will attack first. A good example is Final Fantasy 7 battle system.

I guess that, as you are in 3d, you should be able to zoom in to the place the player is standing and spawn some monsters nearby, then allow the server to assign the turns for the actions. This may require to pause all other objects in the game while the battle finishes... like a time stop... but that wouldnt be that hard to do.

Other option would be to save the object states and load a new mission when the battle starts and after the battle to come back and reload the area where you were standing and relocate the objects. But that may take long load/unload times and your players may get bored.

Other option would be to create merge Torque2D and Torque3D (I heard it is possible to some extent) and create a 2D world map and when battle comes load a mission with the appropiate area.

My choice would be the first one. It will look neater to show your avatar walking and suddenly show a message "BATTLE!!!" and zoom the camera and see the monsters spawn and fight and after the battle the gold and items will scatter and you will return to the normal view and you can pick them with your mouse. It will feel more fluid.

Luck!
Guimo

Thanks for the reply and that does give me guidance on where to start or options to test out. By any chance do you know of any open source code or tutorials on creating a battle system? You did mention some of the stuff is easy to do but for me this is my first RPG.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!