• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SteveS

Newbie to the industry

This topic is 3881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself here. Name's Steve, and I want to get into the video game industry. So how are you all doing =) I'm planning on being a modeler, since I love to model in Maya. I was wondering, does anyone have any advice on how a newbie modeler can break into the industry? Also I wanted to ask, if anyone was working on a project and they needed someone to help model for them, I would like to join their project. I'm willing to work for free, I just want the experience of working in a team, and the chance to make new friends who have similar interests. I can provide models if you need to see some reference work.

Advertisement
Steve wrote:
>does anyone have any advice on how a newbie modeler can break into the industry?

Yes, someone does.
So you're a modeler - where'd you get your art degree?
Where are you planning to move to from Wyandanch, and when?
Got portfolio?
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm

Well, I will have an associates degree in June, after attending Katharine Gibbs School's Game Design course. Some friends have told me I should pursue a bachelors in computer science or digital art next, which I am thinking of doing once I graduate. I was really excited because I've been wanting to get into the industry for a long time, but only recently did I develop the courage to actually do it.

I feel I can hold my own as far as modeling goes, though I probably need to work on my high-res models a bit(this is probably more a confidence issue though).

I'll whip up a portfolio site and try to have it up by friday. I'll post a link in this thread for appraisel when it's available =).

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer about this, and I thank you for replying to my topic tsloper =). After I post this I'll read that link you provided. Thanks buddy

Quote:
Original post by SteveS
Well, I will have an associates degree in June...
I thank you for replying to my topic tsloper =). After I post this I'll read that link you provided.

IMO, an Associates isn't nearly enough.
My name isn't "tsloper." Nobody calls me that.

Yeah, I feel your right about the associates thing. I plan to continue my education towards at least a Bachelors degree before being somewhat satisfied, but for the time being I still want to experience the industry in any way I can. That link you showed me is really helpful.

Sorry about the Tsloper thing, it was your handle and so I referred to it to address you. I hadn't known it would irritate you so I apologize for it. Sorry =).

Is it ok if I call you Tom?

Quote:
Original post by SteveS
Is it ok if I call you Tom?

That's a whole lot better than "tsloper."
Tom is my name. "tsloper" isn't.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!