• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
visualperception

Delphi? & GLSCENE?

This topic is 3962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anybody played with Delphi and GLScene? I haven't really played with them that mutch together. I do know that Delphi on my benchmark tests is just as fast as compiled C/C++ programs and there is no extra overhead. I just don't know if GLScene is a good library to use? I do like that it does inbed into your code. You can run almost everything from your exe if you choose to, or just the dlls that you don't want people to play with. And you can even contain your models in DLL files and they are recreated into tmp files while the game is on. That is a cool feature. So, if someone has played with it let me know please.

Advertisement
Although I've despised delphi for a long time, I did use it quite a bit back in the day. And yes, performance is not something you should worry about. If there's a performance difference, it's negligable. You may be able to squeeze more out of c++ with low level tricks, but that requires a considerable degree of experience.

As for glscene, I also used it a fair bit back then. It's certainly not a perfect engine, but it's not bad either, and to my knowledge is the best one available for delphi.

Be warned though, it's pretty dated these days. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to integrate your own opengl code into it (so adding modern features that it lacks is entirely possible).

I read a while ago that they were doing a total rewrite, to implement new features and to use both opengl and direct3d, but I have no idea how that's coming. I suspect it's been largely abandoned, but I could be wrong. Maybe pop into the newsgroups and see what's up. I believe you can find their addresses on the GLScene website.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!