• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ju2wheels

[web] Testing against multple Gecko versions

This topic is 3958 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I was wondering if there were any applications or stand alone browser setups for specific versions of Gecko. The reason I ask is because my site receives visitors using a wide range of Firefox/Mozilla based browser versions which correlate to about 4 different versions of the Gecko engine (according to wikipedia). I would like to be able to test my pages under each engine version if possible (instead of installing all the different versions of the browsers). I resorted to this for IE, but that was because I had found standalone installable versions which made it easy to test against the individual browsers. But seeing as Gecko is used in a wider variety of open source browsers, I dont see it being practical to install all the browser versions. Thanks

Advertisement
Well, since you know the gecko combinations from Wikipedia, can't you just pick four Mozilla/Firefox versions that correspond with the four Gecko versions you want to try? IIRC it's possible to run multiple versions of FF next to eachother. At least under Linux (just put them in separate directories under /opt)

It seems to me that, unless you are doing something really outlandish with your design, things should render pretty much identically across the different versions of the Gecko engine.

Yea I did further research on the differences between major branches of Gecko releases and found that any versions in a related major branch 1.x.x should all render identically and if they dont its actually a bug in the rendering engine. So unlike IE, it makes it a little easier to check for compatibility across multiple versions of browsers built on the Gecko engine...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!