• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Amablue

Suggestions for which Physics Engine to use

This topic is 3783 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a game for class and I'm going to use a physics engine in the assignment. I'm using XNA/C#, and the game is going to be a 2D game. The general idea is you have to bounce a ball around a maze and there will be various obstacles and I want the movement to be somewhat realistic. I've seen Physics2DDotNet and a version of Box2D for C#, but I'm having a hard time finding documentation or tutorials. Or maybe I'm just blind. I did google searches for tutorials on those but I couldn't find a whole lot that was terribly useful. Does anyone know where I can look to learn to use one of these, or a good alternative?

Advertisement
Personally? If your a beginner you will face 2 challenges, among others:

1) Learning about vector maths and physics
2) Learning how to compile, integrate, and use "engines"

I wanted to learn about physics in games, so I bought a book and studied it in my own time. Now that I understand vector maths and basic physics, and now that I am dabbling with 3D games, I am integrating a physics engine. Now that I am more familiar with programming, I find it easier to compile, install, and use a physics engine. When I stated up I was like a fish out of water and wouldn't have stood a chance.

I'm a beginner with using physics engines, but I've been programming in general for a while now.

If there are no online tutorials for two engines I listed, and there's no alternative 2D C# engine I can use, then are there any general physics engine tutorials online I could look at? I don't need to do a whole lot of fancy stuff, and I don't care too much about the finer points of how the engine works.

This might be the Box2D version you were referring to (I believe I've seen more than one for XNA though), but Farseer looks to be a very good 2D physics solution.

While the documentation isn't done, there are some good explanations in it (http://www.codeplex.com/FarseerPhysics/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Documentation&referringTitle=Home), and there's a video tutorial and associated materials over on XNAtutorials (http://www.xnatutorial.com/?p=62).

[Edited by - Norbo on February 8, 2008 11:27:22 PM]

I can't open any of the .sln files for Farseer

This problem only pops up with Farseer. Other files and projects open up just fine. I get an error saying "The project type is not supported by this installation" Anyone know what might cause that?

Quote:
Original post by Amablue
I can't open any of the .sln files for Farseer

This problem only pops up with Farseer. Other files and projects open up just fine. I get an error saying "The project type is not supported by this installation" Anyone know what might cause that?

Google looks helpful...

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Google looks helpful...

Quote:
Original post by gharen2
Farseer uses the Xna framework. Do you have it installed?

I did a google search already, but they don't seem to be helpful. I have C# installed, I have VC# Express, I have XNA installed and running, I can run demo projects and tutorial solutions fine, the problem is only with Farseer .sln files.

The only suggestion I see thats consistent between the google results is the suggestion of a complete reinstall :(

I suppose I'll try that...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!