Please read before you flame me :)

Started by
14 comments, last by m0ng00se 16 years, 2 months ago
Before I ask this, I just want to say I did look through the beginner resources page and through the book recommendations. Now here is my question: I was looking through the resource page and general consensus seemed to be to get the book "Learning C++ Through Game Programming" (or something like that) so I ordered it. (I accidentally ordered the first edition : /) Now my question is two part: For those of you who have this book, should I buy the second edition instead? Also, more importantly, where do I go after this book? Can anyone suggest a follow up book for me to buy? I ask this far in advance because I live overseas and it takes a long time for things to arrive here so im sure Ill be done with one book by the time the second arrives :D Thank you.
Advertisement
Hi,

Before thinking about the next book I would suggest you to take all the time you're going to need to fully understand all the chapters of the book.
If you're starting from zero you first need to achieve a solid, base, knowledge of the programming language you've chosen to start with.

Edition differences dont usually mean too much. Just remember, before the 2nd edition was even out, the 1st one had to do the job all on its own.

Read the book, ask questions, learn.

The book might teach you with examples in game programming (that's fine) but I think a very important step is to learn at least the ins and outs of your language (C++) because it will help you dive into the juicier(and more fun to me) game programming.

As a quick tidbit, when I first began, I thought the operator '->' was used for linked lists exclusively haha =P
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
Please read before you flame me :)

You're worried people will flame you regardless of what you actually had to say??
I'm reminded of the famous line, "just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
Looks like you're getting good advice. Read that book first, worry about next book second. Don't worry about edition # - that just indicates that it sold well enough the first time to warrant additional editions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

So, can we flame you now? (By the way, next time you might want to put something related to your question in the topic, rather than a request not to be flamed) [grin]

Always make it easy for people to answer you
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
So, can we flame you now? (By the way, next time you might want to put something related to your question in the topic, rather than a request not to be flamed) [grin]

Always make it easy for people to answer you

Your instructions:

0) Read your post (done)
1) (Implied) try to answer your questions:
IN answser to question 2, you will know after you get the hang of most of the stuff in your first book. usually, people want to start on 3d graphics and so pick up a book or read internet articles about OpenGL or DirectX.
2) Flame you:

<flame>
you are an idiot, your smell of cheese travels down your DSL line and up through mine because you never wash your meagre genitals. You will never learn to program because you lack the mental facilities and I wish you would dig a hole, lie in it, and wait for the inevitable, because your life is doomed to be a failure anyway!
</flame>

I didn't mean any of those things.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Your instructions:
0) Read your post
1) (Implied) try to answer your questions:...
2) Flame you:

Heh. That's right. The subject line does ask us to flame him after having read the post. Hadn't noticed that right away. (^_^)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't have the book. I started programming in C++ with some really basic apps, each of them teaching me a new detail about the language. The only way to learn it is to code lots of it, and ask questions here when you stall on C++-speedbumps. While coding along, you'll start using more and more aspects and libraries (sort of plugins) of the language. If you're lucky, you'll get some insight in what is said to be "good code" and "bad code" habits.

Since this book is game-oriented, my guess is it will start with some very basic text-based games like in the good ol' days. Maybe it will address graphics later. Probably something simple and 2D, like SDL. SDL has everything for you, from user-input to display. All you need to do is implement your game ;) If the book takes you to 3D programming, it will probably be OpenGL/Direct3D. If those spook you, take a look at DarkGDK, that simplifies 3D game programming to an extent where even someone without C++ knowledge should be able to get something going.

I hope you find your way in programming! Good luck, don't give up fast, even if it all seems like too much or like somthing else than you'd expect.
Quote:
I ask this far in advance because I live overseas and it takes a long time for things to arrive here so im sure Ill be done with one book by the time the second arrives :D Thank you.

Hah...that's funny, I didn't realize that Pennsylvania was overseas o_O. You mean overseas like Canada, or overseas like Europe?
Quote:Original post by Crazyfool
Edition differences dont usually mean too much. Just remember, before the 2nd edition was even out, the 1st one had to do the job all on its own.

This is all very well, but bonuses of purchasing a second edition usually go along the lines of:

1) Errors from first edition fixed (this can be important!)
2) Extra stuff the author(s) forgot to put in the first one. Sometimes the extra stuff is really important!

Either way, book will work just fine -- but if I hadn't already bought it, I'd definitely suggest getting the more recent work.

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement