Please read before you flame me :)

Started by
14 comments, last by m0ng00se 16 years, 2 months ago
Unless you can't afford it or don't have time, you could always sell the current copy, while its still in mint condition, and put the money towards the second edition. Check the prices of the book on ebay and amazon.

Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Advertisement
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but generally a '2nd Edition' does not mean a 'sequel', it's merely an update, maybe a little new material, revised spell-checks etc.

Stick with the 1st Edition, it'll get you through it, and you won't waste your money because 'click' on page 47, line 6, was spelt 'clik'.

"Yes, it's a poor example. You're an idiot." said my internal critic.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Lol thanks for the replys guys :) As far as learning 3d and all that I know thats a long ways away. I do have some C programming experience and some VB but those were awhile ago so they dont count. I was just looking for the next logical step up from this current book. Im just not sure what to learn next once I learn this book.

As far as overseas my house is in Pennsylvania but Im a contractor so I move all over the place. Im currently in the middle east so mail can take me a good while : / Thats why I like to stock up on books when I order them :D

I have the second edition, and Im nearly finished it. If you have not done any sort of c++ or general programming this book will be a good read, however, if you are like me and have done years of java, c#, perl, etc... then this book will only be partly helpful.

I reckon you should always shoot for the newer versions of the book, surely it would at least the same as, if not, better the older editions.

My current approach to learning game programming has been to learn c++, then get into the win api through basic tutorials (as you will need to know a lot about it when dealing with the basics of windows programming). Then I'll be getting into DirectX (specifically Direct3D to begin with), I have already jumped the gun and started to work with my own basic DirectX apps, its going pretty well so far.

Good luck to you.
Personally, I love being flamed. It touches on something deep in my soul. But this is not the lounge....
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Well that's all good advice but I don't entirely agree.

Firstly I've personally trained two young people who couldn't read a book properly if their life depended on it (one was semi dyslexic) but they were almost genius "hands on" learners. Both are now in Australia earning over $120,000 AUS as computer engineers.

Secondly the best hacker I've ever met in my life was a fifteen year old Canadian who could barely spell his own name but could write assembly out of his head on the fly. I saw him crack a $30,000 Israeli firewall in under three minutes. He was totally self taught by playing on computers 24/7.

Don't get me wrong, I learn from books and I fully support books as being the best solution for most people. However everybody is wired differently and people learn differently and respond better to different techniques. Some people are "visual learners", others are "methodical technical", and some just learn by playing. There truly is intuitive learners out there that don't even understand the basics sometimes but still do remarkable things simply because they don't know the supposed limitations, so they have no boundaries.

So fire up OGRE or the game development engine of your choice and simply start playing. Cut and paste code, change objects, break everything in sight then go read a book on how to put it all back together again. I'm not saying it's the best way and it may well be bad advice for most people but life is short... go have fun grasshopper...

m0ng00se (NZ)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement