• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheMac

Ageia chip without the sdk?

This topic is 3967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know if we are able to code our engines for the Ageia chip set without using the Ageia sdk? I would like to use ODE for all my physics needs. Thanks.

Advertisement
You'd have to have your own custom driver, which would require intimate knowledge of the hardware, which they keep secret I think. So while possible, it's not very likely or very easy.

The Ageia sdk is pretty straight forward and very powerful. I understand having a preference for ODE (probably because you already know it); but the right tool for the job in this case is clearly the Ageia SDK, may as well use it.

[EDIT: another option would be moving over to an abstracted physics sdk like Opal which is a wrapper that allows you to switch the underlying physics execution between different SDKs like ODE and PhysX http://opal.sourceforge.net/ ]

-me

Quote:
Original post by TheMac
Yeah, opal rocks, its just, I don't like working with libraries if I don't have the source to it.

Technically you don't have any of the source to OpenGL or DirectX because they're implemented at the driver level.

If you want hardware accelerated tech, you're very likely going to be using closed source.

-me

Quote:
Original post by TheMac
Does anyone know if we are able to code our engines for the Ageia chip set without using the Ageia sdk? I would like to use ODE for all my physics needs.

That doesn't make any sense. It's a little like saying that you want to use D3D through OpenGL.

The PhysX SDK is an interface to the physics chip. The actual physics calculations are done on the chip, at least a major part of them. ODE would just replicate the calculations, using a less powerful solver on top of that. Just drop ODE, and switch entirely to PhysX. It's just an API. It's easy to learn and much more powerful than ODE.

Quote:

Yeah, opal rocks, its just, I don't like working with libraries if I don't have the source to it.

Why ?

Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
NVIDIA just bough Ageia so perhaps we well see a merge between GPUs and PPUs, perhaps physics instructions in shader languages.

Yeah. There were rumors around 5-6 months ago about NVidia looking into onboard physics stuff on future graphics cards.

-me

I guess hardware-accelerated physics is going to be the "next big thing".

I wonder if Microsoft will invest in some kind of 'DirectPhysics' API.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!