Super Tuesday

Started by
62 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 16 years, 2 months ago
Well there's a difference between supporting withdrawing troops from Iraq, and supporting the decision to go in in the first place. And of course, there's a difference between supporting war when you believe Iraq is planning to deploy nukes, and when you know they aren't actually any threat. In the UK, I think the parties were united at first in believing it was right (I might be wrong here) until they realised the intel was dud.
Advertisement
Yep. McCain stayed awhile in the Hanoi Hilton where they showed him the 'rope trick'.

Honestly, I'm not too impressed with any of the fielded candidates. I'm probably going to not vote in the presidential election. I feel that every single one of them are traitors and should be hung/shot in the capitol ;)

But seriously, I can't bring myself to vote for anyone I don't support.... I just can't bring myself to it. Both sides and all candidates are exactly the same.
A white woman, a black man and a grizzled ex-POW veteran/pensioner are all exactly the same?

I'm sort of surprised they allow the wife of a recent president to run... In the UK I get the impression Bill was quite a decent president who was caught doing something stupid.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
I'm sort of surprised they allow the wife of a recent president to run... In the UK I get the impression Bill was quite a decent president who was caught doing something stupid.

I'm not entirely sure how you could disallow it. I am a bit surprised that it's such a selling point for her though. I've read several comments from American voters backing Hillary because they think they'll be getting "two presidents for the price of one." I thought that sort of went against the whole two term limit thing in the first place, not to mention the weirdness of having the whole Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton thing on the history list of presidents. They'll be electing Jeb Bush in 2012 at this rate.
During the pregame show of the Super Bowl this last Sunday, they did a recitation of the Declaration of Independence. I turned to my friends and asked them, "so, do you think this could be considered an act of sedition?"

Obama is stomachable. Clinton is a shrieking "bankrupt-the-country" zealot. McCain is war-mongering democrat. The only candidate who I actually believe a damn word he says is Paul.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Just because rush says mccain is a Democrat doesn't mean that he is. Paul isn't a libertarian, he is however a racist liar. I went and caucused with the Democrats and voted for Obama. In a normal year at this precinct 150 people show up. On a well attended night in the past at this precinct they had 300 people show up. This year they had over 1400 show up. They ran out of signup sheets and ballots. Change is coming. Don't fear it.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by GKW
[...]Change is coming.[...]
I'll believe it after I've seen it, ensured I'm fully awake and not hallucinating or otherwise crazy, and seen it a second time after that.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
To those who complain about congress not doing anything to stop the war, remember that the republicans will filibuster (and, at the moment, veto) most of what they could do. Also, although the democrats hold a majority in congress, several of them, mainly in the south IIRC, support the war. The anti war democrats don't have the power to do anything about the war.
I mean, why would you get your medical advice anywhere else?
I hope Obama wins because Hillary is so full of shit. I can’t believe democrats fall for her bs, especially when she supported the war and blatantly lies about having no idea that Bush would use the resolution to go to war.

I’m also pissed at Edwards for not endorsing Obama.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Quote:Original post by GameDev Doctor
To those who complain about congress not doing anything to stop the war, remember that the republicans will filibuster (and, at the moment, veto) most of what they could do.

We don't know that they would. The Republicans threaten to filibuster, but the Dems never call them on it. The Republicans have essentially created the need for most major bills to pass with a super-majority, and done so quite easily because they face spineless Democrats. Make them put their money where their mouths are and make them filibuster against ending the war. We'll see how well that plays, if they actually do it as often as they threaten to.

As an aside, when Democrats have threatened to filibuster in the past, the media and most of our self-deluded "independent" fellow citizens label them obstructionists. Republicans have been doing just that since the mid-term elections, and it's accepted as the normal course of business.

Quote:Also, although the democrats hold a majority in congress, several of them, mainly in the south IIRC, support the war. The anti war democrats don't have the power to do anything about the war.

I don't know how many Democratic Congressmen support Cheney's wars, but I find out hard to imagine that there isn't a similar number of Republicans who, if they aren't actively against the wars, at least would suffer politically if they took extreme steps (such as supporting a filibuster) to prolong them. If you care to figure out a number for the former category, I'll do some research and figure out a number for the latter (showing our work, of course). Otherwise, I see no reason to assume that the two groups would not cancel each other out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement