• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Darkfire64

I know absolutely 100% nothing!

This topic is 3790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok.....so where to start... What are the programs needed to make a game? Is it something you download or do most computers have it? What is C++? Is it a game making program or is it a way of typing code to make a game? Is there a document that you open and start to type 1's and 0's? =) I've heard of DirectX, C/C++, Java....blah blah blah All of the "beginners" books I have read have briefly explained some things but have always gone straight into code.....and I don't even know what code is! Plz answer as many of my questions as you can. Seriously.....i know nothing....please don't flame me...=)

Advertisement
Your complete and utter ignorance about everything is evident by your inability to find a place devoted to your people.

You'll learn the quickest and most efficiently when you realize that you, really, don't need to ask other people basic questions that a thousand other people like you have already asked and, hopefully, done a decent a job of writing about when they reached a more informed state.

OP wrote:
>What are the programs needed to make a game? Is it something you download or do most computers have it? What is C++?

You have obviously gathered that C++ is one of the programs most often used in making games.

>Is it a game making program or is it a way of typing code to make a game? Is there a document that you open and start to type 1's and 0's? =) I've heard of DirectX, C/C++, Java....blah blah blah

It would help us give you answers if you'd tell us how old you are, what level of education you've completed, and what your current occupation is. And why you ask.

>All of the "beginners" books I have read have briefly explained some things but have always gone straight into code.....and I don't even know what code is!

So you've read multiple books about game programming and you don't know what programming is. Why did you do that?

Why don't you read the FAQs here on this site, and the ones at http://www.igda.org as well. You're obviously very good at reading, so all you have to do is more of it. But in more appropriate places than game programming books.

Quote:
thanks for helping me earlier....you cleared my my honest questions nicely and efficently....by sending me somewhere else!!! I'm still very confused by the way.....plz answer me this.
Is C++ a program I download OR just a way of typing code??
Plz help me out....the other link u showed me is not very helpful.

First of all, Darkfire, we use English here. It's a great language. And don't PM the people that reply to your thread just because they replied to your thread.

Second, if you don't know how to gather information using our For Beginners page, googling something as fundamentally simple as "C++ game development" (as you clearly know basic language names, which is all you need to get started researching), and still maintain that these links are "not very helpful," then your best bet for learning game development is here or here. Leave actual development for people who know are willing to read the links and information people give them.

>>What are the programs needed to make a game?
Firstly a compiler - a program that takes code written by humans and turns it into code readable by machines.
Secondly an art program. Windows comes with MSPaint ;)

>>Is it something you download or do most computers have it?
Linux computers come with a compiler. Windows computers need to download one.

>>What is C++? Is it a game making program or is it a way of typing code to make a game?
C++ is a programming language. You write some C++ code (as plain text), then the compiler turns it into a ".exe" etc...

>>Is there a document that you open and start to type 1's and 0's? =)
Only real programmers type 0's and 1's.
Normal people, on the other hand, use a text editor and start to type in C++/Java/etc... code (which is made up of English-words, mostly - not binary code).

>>I've heard of DirectX, C/C++, Java....blah blah blah
C, C++ and Java are languages.
DirectX is an API.

>>All of the "beginners" books I have read have briefly explained some things but have always gone straight into code.....and I don't even know what code is!
Get a super-beginner book then, like "C++ for dummies". It explains what code is and what it's made up of before jumping in...

I wouldnt suggest C++ for dummies to ANYONE. That book is very poorly written. I got it after going through C for dummies volume 1 and 2 and windows game programming for dummies (written in C) thinking that since it was the dummies series it would be the same quality of material albeit a different author.

Also Python seems to be a popular language and although im learning C++ at the moment ive had my eye on python as the next language I would like to learn.

mittens our charming moderator may be a bit terse but he is correct.

If you want to make a game then you have to read.

I would say at least 50% of making a game is going to be reading.

About half of the other 50% is trying to figuring out what to read, that is what you are doing right now.

About half of the remaining 25% of your time will be writing, and half of that is rewriting stuff you already wrote.

Then the rest is thinking, thinking about writing, and trying not to quit.

So if you want to make a game. Start reading the links.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!