Visual Basic 6 viable?

Started by
7 comments, last by dashurc 16 years, 2 months ago
I am learning VB6 in school, I was just wondering if it is possible to make games with it...? By the looks of it, it is, but I want to be 100% sure.
Advertisement
its certainly possible but its not the best choice,
its odd that a school would teach vb6 since its a obsolete and no longer supported language, on the plus side vb.net has similar syntax and would be fairly easy to learn after learning vb6
Quote:Original post by X Jado X
I am learning VB6 in school, I was just wondering if it is possible to make games with it...? By the looks of it, it is, but I want to be 100% sure.
I think the best we can hope for here is that you are in high school, taking a class that hasn't been retooled in 10 years and for which there is no funding for the purchase of new dev tools.

Am I right? This isn't a college teaching VB6 is it?

To answer your question though... sure, you could make games with VB6. I second the previous opinion, though, that you should move on to .NET as quickly as possible.
Well we aren't learning vb.net because most of the features are disabled in our system (said my teacher) so its this, and next year or next semester its pascal.
Wow pascal was severely outdated when I went to school and I graduated in 2000. They did not have programming where I went so I learned C from some books I purchased, and I would read them in chem class, and in English class, and math, and whatever other class I was bored in. (Don't do that though). Id stick with the VB if thats what they're teaching you and then move from there to VB.Net on your own at home. Pascal though...thats ancient.
Apparently its good for beginners.
This is the first programming class I've ever had, and I am still in HS.. So yeah

What type of games could I be able to create? RPGs? Or stuff like Blackjack or pong etc?
I'm a graduate student in computer science and the department I'm in still uses VB6 for its ultra-beginner programming class. Its the only programming class open to students in like art and writing and stuff like that and in my school it counts as a science class towards the general education credits every student needs, so all the art students take it instead of physics or chemistry or biology. If you are actually a CSC student, you generally skip right over it, lol.

to the OP:

In theory you can write just about any game in any language. All a language really is is a translator between your code and the computer. It eventually gets broken down into machine readable code completely independent of the language you used in the first place. As a (very) general rule, the differences between languages break down into what functions prioritized and made easy vs. those that aren't prioritized and are difficult to pull off.

Writing Civ IV (or other new PC game) entirely from scratch in VB6 is probably an extremely difficult task, but its easier than doing it entirely in Binary! :)

I'm working on a game! It's called "Spellbook Tactics". I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc. I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

Quote:Original post by Plethora
I'm a graduate student in computer science and the department I'm in still uses VB6 for its ultra-beginner programming class. Its the only programming class open to students in like art and writing and stuff like that and in my school it counts as a science class towards the general education credits every student needs, so all the art students take it instead of physics or chemistry or biology. If you are actually a CSC student, you generally skip right over it, lol.

to the OP:

In theory you can write just about any game in any language. All a language really is is a translator between your code and the computer. It eventually gets broken down into machine readable code completely independent of the language you used in the first place. As a (very) general rule, the differences between languages break down into what functions prioritized and made easy vs. those that aren't prioritized and are difficult to pull off.

Writing Civ IV (or other new PC game) entirely from scratch in VB6 is probably an extremely difficult task, but its easier than doing it entirely in Binary! :)

Yeah at my college VB is taught in Business division. At least they've finally moved to VB.NET though. They use C++ in the math/science division.
But to answer the original poster yeah it's possible to makes games with it and there are actually quite a number of books on it since VB6 used to be quite popular and widespread.
I would try to move on to VB.NET at least though if you plan on doing in serious programming since most newer books,tutorials on web,etc use C# which is very similar to VB.NET.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I learned Pascal and Real Basic (a visual version of basic for Macs which was pretty sweet, and absolutely awesome for 2D games) when I was in High School.

I wouldn't be too concerned, but regardless of what languages you're learning you shouldn't be too concerned about making games yet. Learning programming is hard work, and you should just get the basics.

The games I made in high school were pretty crude. One was a red ball that moved across the screen and jumped when you hit the mouse. Another (using the sweetness of realbasic) was a mario party style game (pretty sure this predates the first Mario Party. Nintendo owes me some money), using actual mario characters (uh oh, don't sue me Nintendo).

While crude it was probably more fun than any game I've made in my professional career.

I'm pretty sure I've yammered on and haven't actually answered your question, so here goes:

You CAN program games using visual basic 6. I personally wouldn't, but at your stage, just have fun with it. You have plenty of time in college (if you choose such a path) and/or in your own free time to learn other languages that are more prevalent in the industry (be it professional or hobby games).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement