CreateTexture with D3DFMT_V8U8 fails

Started by
1 comment, last by prux 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Im trying an SDK example (DX 8.1, Bumpmapping/bumplen) but Ive just got an error. Im using geforce2 MX card. When I try to create the bump map: Device.CreateTexture(128,128, 1, 0, D3DFMT_V8U8, D3DPOOL_MANAGED, BumpMapTexture); it says invalidcall. What to do? If I switch the device to REF, it renders nothing. Maybe my device doesnt support bumpmapping - but then where is the software emulation?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by prux
Hi,

Im trying an SDK example (DX 8.1, Bumpmapping/bumplen) but Ive just got an error. Im using geforce2 MX card. When I try to create the bump map:

Device.CreateTexture(128,128, 1, 0, D3DFMT_V8U8, D3DPOOL_MANAGED, BumpMapTexture);

it says invalidcall. What to do? If I switch the device to REF, it renders nothing. Maybe my device doesnt support bumpmapping - but then where is the software emulation?
Look at the card caps spreadsheet in the SDK (SDKRoot\Samples\C++\Direct3D\ConfigSystem\CardCaps.xls) and you'll see that the GeForce 2 doesn't support that format. The reference rasterizer does, but that doesn't mean the rest of the code is correct. Are you using the unmodified sample?
Yea its unmodified. The "bumpunderwaters" doesnt works neither, but most sample do. And choosing "D3DDEVTYPE_REF" flag at CreateDevice results a black screen

And this: DCaps.TextureOpCaps & D3DTEXOPCAPS_BUMPENVMAP != 0 tells me that bumpmapping is supported

[Edited by - prux on February 6, 2008 7:53:52 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement