• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rydinare

GUI Consistency Question

This topic is 3963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I a wasn't 100% sure that this was the right forum for this question, as it's really more of a design question than a programming question. Nonetheless, here goes. In our application, we currently have a feature for creating points when you click on a mesh. By default, the points are numbered in ascending order. There is a separate creation dialog, which also allows for naming the points from a known list and it will go through the list in descending order, or you can click individual items from the list before you click a point to allow that point to get the name. There is no free-form editing. Hope the first part makes sense, because that's not my question There's been a push to add a renaming feature. However, the push from a few developers has been to have the rename feature be a free-form text box that would hover to the right when the mouse moves over the point. That sounds like a cool feature, except it's wildly inconsistent. They want to be able to enter free form text, which, to me, is inconsistent with the creation policy. Furthermore, they want that if the renamed name of a point matches a name from the list, then it will automatically associate. I've already heard from one of the sales people that the request for this feature makes absolutely no sense, but there's been a heavy push to do it this way. So, I guess my question is does this violate anyone's sensibilities? I think it could be confusing for a user to have such a wide difference between creation and renaming of points. If you disagree, how would you do it? FYI, we're using Qt for the GUI.

Advertisement
Just code what they ask, and be prepared that they'll change their mind often. Only if you recoded the same thing 3 times because they changed their mind 3 times, tell them how much valuable time was wasted. Then they may think better next time before making requirements :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!