• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
agm_ultimatex

Where to start?

This topic is 3875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend of mine and myself are going to create a game using C++ and opengl libraries. We have a relatively good idea on what the game will be like. Direction still has to be decided upon, but we have ideas. In terms of development, where is a good place to start?

Advertisement
As I always say, start with Lazy Foos tutorials. These are tutorials using SDL which is a cross platform game library. The graphics are not done using OpenGL, but the language is c++ and he teaches some of the abstract principles behind game programming. The final tutorial is getting SDL and OpenGL to work together, at which point you will be able to write your OpenGL game.

Pay particular attention to the Animation, motion, and keyboard/mouse input lessons.

You won't be able to jump right in at the deep end with OpenGL because you will be out of your depth.

Why not, once you have done all the basics, do a game where you are a dog/cat/mouse and you must chase a mouse / cat. or escape from a dog/cat? Obstacles block your way and you must dodge them to avoid being eaten. (I did this years ago in BASIC, and it was one of my best ever games, lol). If you are the cat, you must catch mice and avoid the dog, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently running through my c++ book, just to refresh some concepts as my teacher was kinda dull in the lessons. Im also doing the exercises at the end of chapter, and its been helping. Author does mention the SDL and uses some elements from it.

Quote:
Original post by agm_ultimatex
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently running through my c++ book, just to refresh some concepts as my teacher was kinda dull in the lessons. Im also doing the exercises at the end of chapter, and its been helping. Author does mention the SDL and uses some elements from it.

Are you sure that the author mentions SDL in that book? It's more likely he mentions the STL, Standard Template Library, which is very different from SDL, the Simple DirectMedia Layer.

I second the use of SDL as a good way to get started in C++ game development, but be sure you know the difference between the SDL/STL to avoid confusion later on.

Quote:
STL my bad, im not one for acronyms, and Im at work, so i couldn't really check.

You're not the first one, it's a really common mistake. [grin]

Quote:
Question about SDL, if I were to use it and compile an exe. Would a user have to download the SDL to run the exe file?

You should include the SDL.dll library as part of your distribution; just put it in the same directory as your exe file.

So technically yes, the user downloads the SDL library. But they download it from you as part of the same archive that contains the rest of your game, so it isn't a burden for them.

Have a look at my website. I have a bunch of video tutorials showing how to create your own game engine using c++ and OpenGL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!