Tile Wars

Started by
34 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, everyone! Tile Wars is a two-man-project and actually the first game I really completed:-) What do you think of the game's concept? Is it fun to play? I welcome any kind of Feedback. thanks www.tilewars.de Viper173
Advertisement
I actually liked it. Very simple, and I like the high score list thing how you can pick anyone. Very clever idea! I also liked how you edit your ship. However, you could use a better website layout.
Yeah, that's true!

The web site layout is REALLY simple! I was thinking of a nice background image with the firing space ship or something...
Quote:Original post by Viper173
Yeah, that's true!

The web site layout is REALLY simple! I was thinking of a nice background image with the firing space ship or something...

Whatever looks nice ;)
holy shit i was hooked, Too bad there is a limited number of times you can play per day. This is an awesome game for real. I can think of a wide range of stuff you could add to this game to make it really interesting in the design of the ships. Also, you need a real website or something. Maybe a forum so people can argue.
At fist when I played it (I went straight into a fight without going into the edit menu) I was like, "Wow... I have no idea what I just witnessed." I couldn't tell which ship was mine and how the fight was going... in the fight screen I couldn't figure out what was going on and whether the fight would end itself or if I was supposed to end it...

But I didn't pay attention at first. Now I see. It's a really cool game... addictive. You could build this game eventually up, bit by bit, over time, making it cooler and cooler until you have an awesome game.

I think simple ideas that create very interesting combinations and game-play like yours are really good... I saw really interesting ship designs, some that I wouldn't have thought of (like one that had turrets covered in armor that were completely disattached from the ship and were as far away as possible).

The AI is interesting too. It must've taken some thinking to figure out how to have the AI's maneuver and fight (the math involved)? Or maybe not.. For example, how would it know when it is facing the enemy at the right angle. This is a problem I've faced before... maybe that's something you could add - more complicated AI? You could have them doing maneuvers on each other and such, or you could try to add neural-networking and genetic-algorithms for the ship AI's to learn? You could also add more items. You could add shield generators, more powerful thrusters maybe.

For the background you could have a star field. Where did you get the sound effects by the way? Your sound effects were pretty cool. And why is it called Tile Wars? Doesn't it have more to do with space and spaceships?
This is awesome. I'm typing this out as I play it.

First impression. I create an account (name of Jonah) and start a game. What are the controls? My ship is going all over the place and I can't seem to control anything. Run away! Oh, a ship editor. Oooohh, I understand what this game is now. Let's just add a ton of turrets.

Most of my matches end up being an endless chase. The ships need to be able to do more things than just turn in a circle.

I had some absolutely epic battles. I tried a few ship designs, but right now the choices are somewhat limited.

You need to add different types of turrets. Not only light and heavy, but lasers, missiles, seekers, mines, etc. This game is all about strategy, you need to give a lot of choices.

I would love to see the ships be scriptable. If they were, this would be a lot like core wars only more fun and tangible.
Quote:I saw really interesting ship designs, some that I wouldn't have thought of (like one that had turrets covered in armor that were completely disattached from the ship and were as far away as possible).

Yeah, for the record: it doesn't work.

It seems as though maneuverability is based upon how far out from the center you build rather than on total mass or something, so you get punished for going out on a limb, as it were. Another build I did had a really long armored point that was supposed to be kept pointed at the enemy ship, but my maneuverability totally sucked because my ship was so, ahem, long, so it didn't do any good and I just got blasted.

But it's a very interesting game, very addictive and a great concept. I played it until half the graphics stopped working for some reason.

(My only criticism is that you have to stick to a pretty common plan with everything lumped at the center to get anywhere -- but then again I did make some pretty silly ships, and there aren't that many component types yet.)
Heh, I didn't realize that at all. I think that should probably be a rule, your ships must be a single "island", there can be no disjointed parts.
Quote:Yeah, for the record: it doesn't work.

It beat my design though. I had a ring of armor around my ship and some turrets on the corners with a lump of turrets in the top-right corner of the ship.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement