A UML tool that won't drive me crazy, any suggestions ?

Started by
2 comments, last by K-Lamity 16 years, 2 months ago
G'day Well I just had Umbrello crash on me. If I try to modify or delete a particular entity it crashes, and if I try to copy and paste the good entities out it doesn't paste properly. Not cool, not touching that tool again. So I'm looking for a new open source/freeware UML tool. I'll prefer it to run on BSD/Linux and windows, but I'll settle for BSD/Linux only. I've used starUML in the past, but just found it clunky and annoying to use. Only real must have feature of me is code generation, as I don't like the idea of creating a model and then recreating it again in code. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
I also thought starUML was clunky and a bit slow when reverse engineering.

I am currently using Bouml. It is free and it runs on all major platforms. It also runs much faster than starUML on reverse engineering code. It has the ability to do code generation and it supports a couple of languages including java and c++. It can also generate pretty nice HTML documentation. The project is very active and the developer regularly posts updates. The documentation for the program could be a little better, but the author is French so I can't really fault him on pretty decent documentation in English. After the initial learning curve I have found things are pretty intuitive and it seems to handle pretty much anything I have wanted it to do.

Hope you find it useful.
Cheers mate, downloading now
I use UMLet. It's java based, and has a simple interface so it should be easy to pick up. The simplicity makes it a little light on the features though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement