Sign in to follow this  

x format and Maya Shaders

This topic is 3594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having the issue with missing data in the .x file I get from the artists. The mesh and texture data is there, but a large portion of the model was colored with Maya shaders. Direct3D isn't pulling that shader data with the x loader function, and I can't find the C++ end to getting that data onto the model. So far all untextured objects will be black without the data from the maya shaders. Anyone have some intel I could use?

Hi jaguillard,

Do the models that you create in Maya use lights for the shading?

If so, you should set up a light in your scene. A direction light should do it for you. If you just set the ambient of the scene, it will not work. You will need to turn on a light and specular.

Hamfiend

Thanks, but I think we located the issue. We have a Direct3D light and a shader doing lighting, it's a matter of parts of the geometry not having a material.

The model has shader colored areas, but the exporter doesn't pull out those shaders. So we are faced with finding an exporter that will get the shaders from Maya 8.5 to something DirectX can load. Sadly, Microsoft gave up on making an exporter for Maya's latest versions.

This topic is 3594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.