Sign in to follow this  

Been out for a while, need reminders about setting up

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A few years ago I was using DX9 and VC++ EE2005 to code a 2D platformer. Nothing really functional happening yet, but things looked pretty at least. But then life woke up a little and I chose to avoid coding because of the amount of time it consumed. Now it's 2008 and I feel like getting back into it. This means completely restarting, since some mofo nicked all my gear here in Spain and my mp3 player stupidly had my digital life on it. I've just downloaded VS EE2008 and I can't really remember everything I need to do. I know I need the DX API, but there's more I'm forgetting. I need tips on that. Windows SDK too right? Can someone tell me what I need to download, what settings I need to keep an eye on when installing, how to enable the "Win32 Application" option in VC++ EE, and what tool I can use to quickly design windows, dialogs, buttons and the like. I used to use VC++ 6.0 for the windows stuff since it came with that software, and VC++EE for the rest. Now I don't know what I can use, and I certainly don't want to manually code window layouts. I now use Vista Premium on an Intel Duo laptop. Cheers, any tips or links appreciated.

Cool how'd you end up in Spain?
I wish I could do the same thing.
Sorry about your stuff being stolen but look at the bright side you are in Spain!

Anyways...

NO, you don't need the Windows SDK anymore since express editions come with the necessary stuff for win32 apps now.
So you just need the DX SDK and I recommend C#/VB for any RAD winform programming.
Oh and MS has a decent video on VC++ EE 2008 to get you up and running.

Thanks. I have no idea what RAD means, but when you say "Use C# or VB for winform programming", I get scared. With VC6.0 I used the mouse. Click, drag, save. I want something that does this.

Nice to hear VC2008 comes with the SDK now.

As for Spain, well I decided to just do it basically. Very little money and no real idea of how to get more. I just packed and left. I assumed I would be working bars in Dublin; Spain was completely unplanned and even after I arrived I still assumed I wouldn't be working here.

RAD means you get your application built rapidly, which it sounds like you like.

The drag-and-drop "windows form" programming comes with the Visual Studio. He is recommending C# over C++ while using these tools because the language integrates very well with them.

Real programmers still use C++ and write directly to the API.

No I lie, real programmers still use C and drop into assembly for all the graphics stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not a real programmer but I don't think C# or .NET or whatever is necessarily any better or superior to C++ for game programming. I have yet to be convinced that it is worth all the hype it currently gets just because Microsoft decided to achieve world domination with it.

That's my unqualified opinion anyway. I like VC++.

I also like penguins but that has no relevance at all.

m0ng00se

I've been debating between the 2 in my mind. I haven't used C#, but it rationally sounds like the better option. I have no interest in bragging rights; if the game can run perfectly in C#, and C# is easier to code with, C# it is. A 2D platformer isn't going to break any upper limits.

I think honestly, real programmers hate wasting time on unnecessary demands made by a machine. C# has automatic cleanup, right? I think that alone makes it the better choice for my project.

Having said all that, I still cling to the more thorough knowledge I would gain from using C++.

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.