Sign in to follow this  

Need direction

This topic is 3597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I'm new to making games and would like some direction. What I'm mainly interested in is making simulation games, like the sports management games. So my question is what sort of things should I be studying? If there are tutorials for this kind of thing could someone please point me in the same direction. Greetings for Sydney, Soli :)

I think you need to be a bit more specific. When you say you are new to making games, do you mean you are currently a programmer? or that you are completely new to everything? You won't really be able to make a sports sims without some basic knowledge in a programming language.

If its the latter i recommend you pick a language and do some googleing for some tutorials on that particular language. C++ is popular among game development although if you want to get into actually game play programming faster (rathern than learning how to get a window running etc.) then take a look at C# and XNA.

If you are already a programmer perhaps you might want to look at a graphical API such as OpenGL or DirectX for 3D stuff, or maybe SDL for some 2D.

If you're saying you want to try your hand at programming your own game, this might offer some helpful ideas:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm
And I'd be very surprised if GameDev's FAQs don't also contain some hints for those in your position.

This topic is 3597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.