Will you go over to PhysX now that they're part of nVidia?

Started by
16 comments, last by MARS_999 16 years, 2 months ago
This will of course mean so much more hardware acceleration for physics. Just curious though, will this change developers support of hardware based physic effects? I would imagine this will soon be as important as the shader. random link/info: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5584&Itemid=1
Advertisement
It will be a few years before this stuff is standard anyways. YAY! More incrementally updated 600$ cards!
It doesn't affect me much since PhysX runs only on Windows and I develop for several other platforms. Can you get separate PhysX hardware, or will it ONLY ship with an Nvidia card? Does it mean no more ATI and no more competition for Nvidia?

Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
deleted
I know they support(ed?) linux to a small degree for a while, but it might have just been the physics API rather than the hardware support. (Plus I remember for sure that there was a hefty fee involved with getting the SDK for linux... wtf?)
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
The only real reason that I develop for the mac currently is that I'm not trying to sell anything just yet, and its a platform I am familiar with. I can port my code to windows and therefore use the PhysX API.

As for the original question, I recon it will increase developers support for hardware physics, although I would prefer if physics hardware was seperate to video cards, simply because I like to change the video card in my PC occasionally, and I worry that I and my customers will have the choice between Nvidia and HW accel physics, or ATI and none. These fears may never materialise, however.

Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
PhysX supports Linux and Mac, you just can't get hardware acceleration from the PhysX card on those platforms, but the card is hardly used by anyone and the Novodex API is pretty amazing in software.

Quote:Original post by Khaos Dragon
PhysX supports Linux and Mac, you just can't get hardware acceleration from the PhysX card on those platforms, but the card is hardly used by anyone and the Novodex API is pretty amazing in software.

Not publically. The Unity game engine has the only port of the SDK to Mac OS X that I know of.
Unreal Engine 3 uses PhysX, now how does this work on Mac and Linux?
I think the Physix library will have to undergo a good amount of modifications once HW acceleration is added to Nvidia cards, and this will probably also include the API of the library as well. So I suppose it's reasonable to assume that Physix will eventually become available wherever OpenGL or DirectX are available.

As for switching to Physix, I think it's very reasonable to do that, especially since currently the library can nicely run without HW support, and the physix drivers will probably get integrated into nvidia drivers. NVidia FTW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement