Time is an issue...

Started by
8 comments, last by Kylotan 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello, So I am recording some things for a small gaming project and am using reason 3.0 for midi and sonar home studio 4 for audio. The only problem I am having is that when I re-wire the programs together, the timing is off. for example, when i sing with the pre-recorded midi track and I am singing on time, it comes out unsynced with the music. At first i thought it was my fault for maybe singing off beat, but after after a while i discovered it was not on my end. even my friends said it wasnt off beat as i was recording. does anyone have any tips as to how to fix a problem like this?
Advertisement
perhaps record your vocals or whatever by themselves (listen to the song through headphones, record normally), then place the tracks on top of each other to sync them?

I don't have any ideas concerning actual application, I don't use either of those.
Export your Reason track to an audio file. Bring the audio file into Sonar, and hey presto! You've got your backing track.
after I record the vocals in sonar, the timing is correct and everything. the problem is, after i import them into reason (to add reverb and other effects), the timing goes off like .5-1 sec which throws everything off. I dunno if its because the vocal wav file is to large or what, but for some strange reason, the program is causing it to delay.

any other ideas? [sad]

p.s - the re-wire isnt the problem, its after i import the vocal files into reason is when the timing goes crazy.
What soundcard you are using, maybe it's latency problem?

- Piotr
_________________________www.piotrmusial.comoriginal music for media
It is a latency issue.....whenever you have long pieces of audio it will drift...therefore causing you to become off-beat.....each program has different timing issues...I for one have experienced this problem majorly.....the workaround would be to chop up the vocals into intros, verses,and choruses....
Quote:Original post by kodecraft
It is a latency issue.....whenever you have long pieces of audio it will drift...therefore causing you to become off-beat.....each program has different timing issues...I for one have experienced this problem majorly.....the workaround would be to chop up the vocals into intros, verses,and choruses....

Alright. Ill try that. thanks!
let me know how it goes......
Quote:Original post by kodecraft
It is a latency issue...
...the workaround would be to chop up the vocals into intros, verses,and choruses....

You can also try adjusting the buffer settings for your audio drivers and the latency settings in your software. Check the manuals for both.
Quote:Original post by Blaise Douros
Export your Reason track to an audio file. Bring the audio file into Sonar, and hey presto! You've got your backing track.

I'm going to do the "quote for emphasis" thing here. There are big difference between drift and latency, and generally speaking you shouldn't see a problem with either if you're just layering one audio track on top of another.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement