[.net] How to compare text differences and how is the best way to mark the differences?

Started by
3 comments, last by chrisliando 16 years, 2 months ago
I am developing a text Comparer similar to WinDiff / WinMerge. I am confused of comparing the text because it did not work.. What I was trying to do were: I compare the whole textBox text, if they are different, I compare them per line, if they are different, I compare them per word but what was happening did not fill my expectation. private: System::Void button8_Click(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) { if ( String::Compare(textBox1->Text,textBox2->Text) == 0 ) MessageBox::Show("Source file equals to Destination file"); else { //tidak sama maka != 0 jadi bandingkan per baris setelah itu per kata for ( int i = 0 ; i < textBox1->Lines->Length ; i++) for ( int j = 0 ; j < textBox2->Lines->Length ; j++) if (String::Compare(textBox1->Lines->ToString(),textBox2->Lines[j]->ToString()) != 0) { MessageBox::Show("Different"); } } } //end of button8 click And also I am confused how to mark the difference since textBox don't support the text highlight coloring..How is the best way to let user know the different parts? Can you help me, please..I am stucked for this problem. ----------------------------------------------------- 2. I have other problem which is how to display unicode characters? I need to display Japanese Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, Chinese, Korean and Thai characters in the proper way.. I have tried this way: textBox2->Text = System::IO::File::ReadAllText(openFileDialog1->fileName, System::Text::Encoding::Unicode); but it still cannot display the text file containing Japanese Kanji / Hiragana / Katakana well and THE WORSE THING, a text file containing Latin(normal ASCII) characters also displayed as Asian characters but I don't know which characters they were. Can you please tell me how to display all text file well? Thank you very much.
Advertisement
If you do not explicitly specify an encoding when reading text files it should automatically detect the encoding for you (assuming the files have a BOM you shouldn't have any problems).

As for highlighting text; you could use the RichTextBox class. Set a selection (with its SelectionStart and SelectionLength properties) then change the colour via the SelectionColor property (you can also change fonts and so on here).

To display East Asian characters you will need to set it to use a font containing the requisite glyphs, as it will not render them otherwise. MS Mincho and MS Gothic are good bets. Do bear in mind that these fonts are not usually installed by default on English versions of Windows.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

1. I have successfully open a text file containing 1 Kanji character, 1 Katakana character, 1 Hiragana character and some normal Latin text. All of them displayed well.. But the text file I opened was in an UTF-8 encoding..So there is another problem, how if I open a non UTF-8(ANSI) text files? How to convert them to UTF-8 / Unicode?

In this application, user can open a file, edit it and save it back..Is it necessary to set the encoding into UTF-8 everytime user save the file?

2. How to specify the encoding when I read the text files like you said?

3. Yes, but after my code successfully check if 2 files are different, how can I know the word position? I mean like if we have error compiled in C++ / other language, if we double-click on the error, it will automatically point to the line containing that error. How to do that?
Are you sure if the RichTextBox will give highlight color? Because I have tried it but what happening was the textcolor that was changed and nothing highlighting the text..

What was wrong?

4. So before I read the text files, I need to set the textBox font first?

Can you please give me some code sample for each of my questions above to make this clearer?

Thank you very much..

[Edited by - chrisliando on February 10, 2008 6:46:29 PM]
Quote:Original post by chrisliando
1. I have successfully open a text file containing 1 Kanji character, 1 Katakana character, 1 Hiragana character and some normal Latin text. All of them displayed well.. But the text file I opened was in an UTF-8 encoding..So there is another problem, how if I open a non UTF-8(ANSI) text files? How to convert them to UTF-8 / Unicode?

In this application, user can open a file, edit it and save it back..Is it necessary to set the encoding into UTF-8 everytime user save the file?

2. How to specify the encoding when I read the text files like you said?

3. Yes, but after my code successfully check if 2 files are different, how can I know the word position? I mean like if we have error compiled in C++ / other language, if we double-click on the error, it will automatically point to the line containing that error. How to do that?
Are you sure if the RichTextBox will give highlight color? Because I have tried it but what happening was the textcolor that was changed and nothing highlighting the text..

What was wrong?

4. So before I read the text files, I need to set the textBox font first?

Can you please give me some code sample for each of my questions above to make this clearer?

Thank you very much..

1. You can use Notepad++ to convert UTF8 to Unicode

3. Try using richeditBox1.SelectionBackColor instead (half a second on Google and I found that)
Ok, thank you..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement