Compiling boost for Visual C++ 2008 (VS9.0)

Started by
7 comments, last by oler1s 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I finally decided myself to try boost. I'm interested in the regex lib, and I'd like to compile it as a .lib to use it in my project. Problem is I'm having troubles compiling it. The path to the nmake, cl, etc. is correctly set, but I'm having a "NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.EXE"' : return code '0xc0000135'" error when trying to compile ... I'm compiling using "nmake -fvc8.mak" I'm using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition I've set the INCLUDE and LIBPATH environment variable (as said in the cl.exe documentation) Anyone knows why I've got this error and how can I compile the regex library ? [Edited by - paic on February 11, 2008 7:37:27 AM]
Advertisement
David Abrahams did an excellent job of rewriting the Getting Started docs here:

Boost Getting Started
--Michael Fawcett
Thx for the link, but I already read it (well, the parts about compiling / installing)
I didn't find any way to compile using MSVC command line tools, so I tried bjam.
I followed the documentation. The libraries compile well, but I've got a linking error : all my libraries were compiled with names in the form : "libboost_name_of_lib-vc-link_target.lib"
And when compiling, boost is trying to link with "libbost_name_of_lib-vc80-link_target.lib" ...

I know I could just rename all the libraries ... but isn't there a way to compile using vc80 as a target instead of vc ??

I also get warnings about "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results" but I looked into visual.hpp and it seems any version greater than VS8.0 prints this message ... and since I'm using VS9.0 ... do you think that can be related to my problem ?
Ok, sorry to bother, but I think I've found a solution :
http://www.nabble.com/libXXX-to14734770.html#a14780885
Need to replace a .hpp file, and then add a configuration in the bjam config file to handle VS9.0
It's compiling right now, but I'll edit my post to tell if it worked.
If someone has the same problems using boost, hopefully this thread will help

Edit: it works fine now :)

[Edited by - paic on February 11, 2008 9:36:28 AM]
Boost consulting has pre-built binaries for windows platforms, don't bother building it unless you really have to.

http://www.boost-consulting.com/products/free

-Riku
Yeah, and I've tested them : they build the libraries for VS8.0 so I end up with exactly the same linking problem as when I compile the libraries myself :)
I haven't tried with the release version, but I've been using a copy of boost checked out of subversion with MSVC2008 for a while without problem. I just used the simple bjam method to build it without any need for additional adjustments. My built libraries all have the -vc90- string in their names so the auto-linking works properly.

Some time ago I found a patched makefile and was able to compile boost with vc++ 2008. Although I don't remember whether I had to change anything else or not. The compilation process took more than an hour.

Anyway, I have uploaded everything on rapidshare, the .7z file is 43MB big but you will need more than 2.8GB space to extract the files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/91221633/Boost.7z.html
The updates for VC 2008 were put in the repository after the stable release. Therefore, if you have VC 2008, checkout trunk, or patch the stable appropriately.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement