New designer... NEED HELP!!!

Started by
6 comments, last by IronHawk0131 16 years, 2 months ago
ok guys... I'm new to designing video games and I'm not old enough to start college... I haven't finished high school yet... anyway... I would like to start designing a game that I have already come up with but I can't seem to find a program that will let me do that... I figure I will have to buy one but I don't know where to look or what will work for what I need... somebody please point me in the right direction... PLEASE!!!
Advertisement
Hmm, well you don't need a program in order to design a game, all you need for that is a paper/pencil and some creative thinking. A Design usually involves a list and descriptions of how things will work in the game, what does what, how it will look, storyline, etc. Such a document is otherwise known as a GDD or Game Design Document, some links here may prove useful.

Now for making a game you'll need a Compiler of some sort. There are alot of programs around you could use, for example GameMaker which uses simple scripting to make 2D games (or some ultra basic 3D if your creative). There are other programs that require you to learn a Programming Language, of which there are a number.

The differences between languages is more in their difficulty to learn/use and how powerful they are, with the more difficult being the more powerful. A good language i've heard to start off with is Python, or you could try C++ with SDL, opinions on which languages to use often vary depending on who you ask, so learn abit about them and go with what your comfortable with.

On a final note, if your going to try your hand at coding try starting with something simple (pong for example) and working your way from there. Many beginners often try to make a high quality game right off, and usually end up failing. If you decide to try something big don't let setbacks discourage you, even if your project should fail you'll likely have learned alot along the way which will help with your next project.

In any event, good luck making your game. ;D
Gyrthok's advice is good. I'd say that starting with Python is probably a good idea. It has a very shallow learning curve. Go to Python.org and pyglet.org. With these and some hard work you should be able to start making games (simple games, don't start too big) in no time.

~Cody
You may want to look into Flash, or Python + PyGame, or GameMaker or something similar. Those are probably the easiest platforms to build a game with.

It may still take some time to get familiar enough with one of these before you can build a decent game. So what do you know already? Have you ever programmed before? Have you done anything with art?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
There isn't a list of beginner tools here on gamedev??
I have a list of them at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm
And the OP should also check out http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm (the Game Biz Glossary) and find out what "game design" really means.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This just recently came out. Oh, and I saw this too. (check that devbump site out too, it's excellent.)

Oh yeah man, and check this out.

... or you could start learning to program, which is a life-long-learning-experience
Quote:Original post by IronHawk0131
ok guys... I'm new to designing video games and I'm not old enough to start college... I haven't finished high school yet...

anyway... I would like to start designing a game that I have already come up with but I can't seem to find a program that will let me do that... I figure I will have to buy one but I don't know where to look or what will work for what I need...

somebody please point me in the right direction... PLEASE!!!

I suggest you make a text based game, use a language like RUBY to help you.
Thanks guys... you've really helped out alot... and I have already drawn out everything I can think of for the game... I'm not going to brag too much but I'm an artist so I think I started the game off right... I appreciate everything!!! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement