programming language

Started by
12 comments, last by samuraicrow 16 years, 2 months ago
ok, so i want to start learning game programming, and i know basic c++, like functions loops and that stuff, but people are telling me to learn python, is this a good idea?
Advertisement
Yes.

In the process of making a game as a beginner, C++ will throw many things at you that, strictly speaking, have nothing to do with writing and running your code. You will eventually need to come to grips with these things, but using a language that lets you ignore them and just focus on making games is a benefit at this stage.
Learn python anyway, its a really pretty language. Ive been learning it do math modeling with Sage.
Yes. You should learn python! I'm learning it right now and love it!
Another vote for Python here!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
so should i just drop c++?
I started with C++ 5 years ago, but I hardly ever use it anymore. I frequently work with haXe and Python in my spare time, and sometimes a little bit with C# and PHP. At work, we use C, but that's because of the platforms we work on, not because we prefer it. ;)

So yeah, drop C++ for now and get to grips with Python. You can always pick up C++ later on when you need it or when you think you're ready for it. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
If you already know the basics of c++ and how it works then i'm going to say stay with c++. Python is a great language, dont get me wrong, but you should stick to one language. (at least until you understand it)
I say learn Python. You can stick with C++ but it'll bring you a lot more trouble and frustration than Python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement