Sign in to follow this  

Overlayed text?

This topic is 3596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I've run into Gamedev a lot over the past year or two, but I've never had a chance to post. I'm looking for the ability to write text to the screen--as in, an on-screen display. That means, a transparent background behind the text, no actual "window," etc.. However, I'm very confused as to how I should go about this. I tried looking into Cairo, but without having a clear idea about what I would need to do, I hit a road block pretty fast. So what library should I be looking for? I'm running a Debian Lenny system, with no plans to port my program to anything else--its just a personal project. Thank you all for any advice you can give me! Redmumba

Where do you want to write your text? What does "write text to the screen" mean? What screen? Your monitor? Do you want to learn a programming language so you can output text?

I am experienced with C/C++ and Java, and familiar enough with a variety of other languages. (Whoops, might've helped if I had mentioned that before!)

Basically what I'm looking for is the ability to write messages anywhere on the screen. Think of it like the OSD on most modern TVs... such as the "channel" that is displayed in the top corner.

What you would need is an app that runs in the background (no window, like you said), and draws to the desktop. I don't know how to do that but i know what you are talking about, I have seen it before. In Windows i think you get a HDC of the desktop then draw to it but that's all i know.

Quote:
Original post by Redmumba
Hm, so nobody knows how to do this on a Linux based OS?

Linux is just a kernel, it has no GUI.

Currently one of the more active projects for desktop effects would be compiz. Its reliance on OGL however may cause problems, depending on the driver support you have.

For other window and display managers, there's always source. It shouldn't be all too hard to hack something together.

This topic is 3596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.