Sign in to follow this  

Need some technical advice on laptop purchase...

This topic is 3600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well to say it simply, I am in the market for a new computer and for my job a lap top is the best way to go because I'm on the move a lot. And I wanted to know what some more experienced programmers would recommend as far as a good lap top or at least the best brand to go with. Also I am of course interested in playing games on it too. So let me know what you guys think would be the best one to go with.

I wouldnt call myself an experienced programmer --- But where programming is concerned, just about any new laptop should do fine where compiling is concerned.

Only consideration is if you're into 3d modeling.

Just make sure you have a minimum of 1GB ram, and Not an integrated graphics card.
I'm not sure how the DirectX 10 is going for notebooks, but if you're into 3D and it's not too big of a leap in price, you should definitely go for it.

Link to a Graphics Card Guide, written in 2006 though.
But you'll still recognize some of the cards, and info about hypermemory etc is still relevant.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3056&guide=Graphics+Card+Guide+2006

Also when possible, the extra few bucks to upgrade 5400rpm to 7200 on the hard drive, it really does help.

Beyond that it's really just up to weight and size.
Browse around at Notebookreview, and once you find one you like, Google up all the bad comments to see what's broken on it :)

All I use is a laptop and my advice is get the very best you can afford at the time because if you get into heavy development then whatever you get will never be enough eventually.

Coding is fine but if you start getting into 3D stuff then it eats up RAM, disk space and processor speed like you wouldn't believe. If you get into rendering hi-res models and/or hi-res animation then you can kill just about anything if you try hard enough. I churn through about 6 - 10 gigabytes a week just with animation stuff and off load all my images onto CDs.

m0ng00se

This topic is 3600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.