new to this...

Started by
9 comments, last by mmakrzem 16 years, 2 months ago
ok, i am learning c++ programming, and i would like to know if there are any free or cheap softwares that suport c++ programming to make games
Advertisement
There's Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition for Windows. For Mac OS X, your computer probably comes with XCode, but you can also download it from Apple's site. For Linux, you're computer probably comes with gcc, but you can download it from gcc.org. For other operating systems, please specify.
well, i have been using visual c++ to learn c++, but i dont know what im supposed to do to actuallly make a game
does torque game builder use c++? i thought it only used torquescript....
which does it use?
does anyone know?
I think that Torque can use either C# or C++ depending on what you're using. TorqueX definitely uses C# since it's an XNA engine while the regular Torque engine is written in C++.

TorqueScript is its own separate language that is specific to GarageGames products. They say it looks like C++ to make things easier.
Quote:Original post by rpstaekwondo
well, i have been using visual c++ to learn c++, but i dont know what im supposed to do to actuallly make a game

You're going to need a good solid foundation in ANSI C and C++ before you understand the design implications to successfully implement even the most basic of games. Writing a game takes much more than programming to accomplish and you're going to encounter some interesting and challenging obstacles throughout the design cycle. My recommendation, begin with a good book on C++ (and ANSI C) and work through the examples in there. Then move onto understanding 3D APIs such as DirectX and OpenGL and continue to progress from there.
Quote:Original post by rpstaekwondo
does anyone know?

Learn more C++ before you start making graphical games with it. When you think you've learned enough of C++ itself, try making a simple text-based game of Tic Tac Toe, or write a text adventure. After you've completed those projects, you can start learning a graphics library. But knowledge of GUI programming won't do you any good if you don't know the language.
any tutorials for making something like a text based tic tac toe?
This might help:
http://www.videos.es/reproductor/tictactoectutoriallesson9-(zcev82OMW1E

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement